Make some money out of cold callers

Options
Ignite
Ignite Posts: 352 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I was talking to my wife earlier and saying why don't we get a premium rate number and use this for all of the forms we fill in with companies. By this I mean the ones that will lead to going onto cold caller data bases. Then when these companies call you, they will end up paying for the call and you will make some money from the call. What is more likely to happen is that they will not call you.

Any thoughts?

Andy

Comments

• April2
    April2 Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    How much will the recording equipment ICTIS require you to have cost?
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • Ignite
    Ignite Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We count 0870 and 070 numbers as premium here, and some of these give you money back without the kit costs ICTIS require.
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    Ignite wrote:
    We count 0870 and 070 numbers as premium here, and some of these give you money back without the kit costs ICTIS require.

The sharing of revenue on 070 numbers was barred some time ago.NORMALLY providers of 0870 require you to be a business user, before they give you free connection and line rental,after all there has to be something in it for them.
    PF.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There have been a few threads about this previously, one is here.
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you don't like receiving the calls, I can't see the point of inviting them to call you, by giving a phone number. Why volunteer to be abused?

When you do give a phone number to one company, they will not give it to other companies unless you give them permission to do so, so don't do it. Find the tick-box on the form about allowing or disallowing this, read it 2 or 3 times to check which is the default case, then do it.

The companies that call random-access or directory-search will still call direct to your home line anyway.
  • RachelD
    RachelD Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    When I get one of these calls, I say I am not interested. That , of course, never stops them - they always continue with their spiel. I don't hang up , i just leave the phone off the hook and come back ten minutes later. Sometimes they are still talking. The record so far is Barclaycard at 16 mins.

This way I have given them my reply and they have chosen to ignore it. So I feel justified in letting them waste their time and money.

I am ex-directory and never used to get any of these calls. I've decided they get my number from on-line application forms for their product - the tel no box is always a mandatory one to complete. I now complete these forms with a fake no - 400000

Rachel
    if i had known then what i know now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family