We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Things you've recycled

Options
One of the great things about growing your own vegetables is the chance to recycle things that would normally go to landfill.

What items do you recycle?

I'll start with a couple:

Loo rolls used as root training planters - they bring on peas, beans, leeks, carrots or parsnips with little root damage and biodegrade when planted

Ice cream sticks make great plant labels (thanks to my late grandad for that one)

Empty chocolate tins (roses, celebrations etc) make good seed storage holders

I've got plenty more, but won't spoil the fun, so feel free to add yours.

Comments

• LashyLashla
    Options
    The trays from my broken dishwasher are now used as little "guards" around my veggies to stop the bunnies, kangaroos and possums getting to them!

Junk mail CDs are strung with beads, bells and other things to make bird scarers (dont think they work but they do look pretty)
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I save loo roll tubes too, and choc tins and lolly sticks. I've started cutting plastic milk cartons in half, saving the bottom for sowing seeds in and the top makes a great funnel.

hooby groovy, don't hold back, let us know all your ideas so we can steal them :D
    Bulletproof
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

I use empty plastic pop bottles - first I cut the bottom off and they make mini cloches for little seedlings -you can take the lid off as they need more air during the day, and then put it back on at night, then they get turned upside down, I place them in my tomato tubs with a cane through the middle and into the soil and then i can pour the water in there when watering... means i know how much water they are geting and less chance of washing away the compost :T

I use the loo roll tubes too :D
    Old tights make great soft ties.... and that mass of carrier bags can be cut up into lengths for tying up too. I use fabric bags to shop now -but still have loads of carriers left :rolleyes:

Of course i save some seeds from my tomatoes and peppers out of the fridge and grow more plants :p

Can't wait to see what other tips i can pinch off of here :T
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • jimbo_the_jetset
    Options
    Plastic lids from butter tubs can be cut up for labels, or the tubs themselves for that matter. We seem to have loads of lids in our cupboard but not as many tubs.......????
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Those annoying bullet proof clear boxes they insist on selling the sunday joint in make good cloches as well!
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • hooby_groovy
    Options
    Another one from Grandad was butter tubs with holes in the bottom used as mini-seed trays.

Keep your plastic milk bottles, fill them with nettles (best to use young shoots) or comfrey leaves, add water, leave for a month and then you've got a powerful (and free!) liquid plant feed.

Pallets reclaimed can be formed for use as compost bins.

Plastic bags tied together and on to poles or netting can be used as bird scarers

Cardboard can be used as an over-winter mulch - even better when covered with an inch of manure and left to rot-down!

Yoghurt pots can be put on canes to stop poking your eye out inadvertantly!
  • FunkyFairy
    FunkyFairy Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I live in a new village with lots of buildings going up. I have used wooden pallets as the wood for raised beds on the allotment.
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    Cant add much to this except using an old firegrate for standing plant pots in, same with old sinks, old watering cans..........in fact anything really.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • kevinwj
    kevinwj Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of pots on the canes, use your old pop bottles, no eye pokes and a bird scarer combined.

Pizza polystyrene bases can be used around brassicas to stop cabbage root fly.

Use the butter / icecream tubs for harvesting fruit, they can go straight in the freezer when full and they stack easily.

Bulb / carrot nets make good onion storage nets - ask your local grocer for them.

• chunkymunky_3
    Options
    -pop bottles as cloches
    -clean stocking fill with onions with a knot after each one, theyll dry nicely and can be cut out one at a time
    -dripping from sunday roast makes fat balls for birds
    -old hanging baskets coated in window film, or even clingfilm make great cloches
    -wage envelopes which my employer no longer uses are handy for seeds
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport