Still get unsolicited phone calls

Options
marylee
marylee Posts: 497 Forumite
I have registered my phone number so that I do not receive unsolicited phone calls. I still receive them esp the voice mail where you are told you have won something. Is there aything else I can do to stop this? I cannot remember the website, please can somebody post a link for me again. Thanks

Comments

• April2
    April2 Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

It can take a few weeks for registration to take effect - but it will not stop the kind of calls you describe above because they originate (mainly) from overseas.
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • mike_paterson
    mike_paterson Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    April2 wrote:
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

It can take a few weeks for registration to take effect - but it will not stop the kind of calls you describe above because they originate (mainly) from overseas.

I spoke to Scottish Power the other day and they told me that it can take up to 3 years for all databases to be updated and for calls to stop.
    They also said that if you forget to tick the no contact button on websites, this gives them authority to override the preference service.
    To infinity and beyond!
  • April2
    April2 Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    They also said that if you forget to tick the no contact button on websites, this gives them authority to override the preference service.
    Good point. Unfortuntely (probably deliberately) some of those use an 'untick the box to opt out' procedure - so you have to be on your toes.
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    marylee wrote:
    I have registered my phone number so that I do not receive unsolicited phone calls. I still receive them esp the voice mail where you are told you have won something. Is there aything else I can do to stop this? I cannot remember the website, please can somebody post a link for me again. Thanks

These competion type calls tend to come from abroad, mainly the USA.They totally ignore our Telephone Preference Scheme,and the UK regulators can do little or nothing about it.
    PF.
  • marylee
    marylee Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this, yes I think the recent phone call I received came from abroad. The chap was asking hubby about investing abroad and I told him to put the name down, but he did not, and I was not happy when he asked hubby to confirm his address as he was going to send him some literatures. Hubby has been warned, but he is so gullible. He has been warned about giving his bank details to people on the phone or to people who knock at the door and ask for charity donation. Thanks to all of you who answered my post.
  • gabgab
    gabgab Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    We have B.T. line (unlisted)+ extra for daughter,same line, different ring tone,also unlisted,but obviously used recently as plaqued by callers from U.S.A. usually when voice activated.
    Normally the calls start with a trumpet fanfare,this makes her no. useless
    Now today it's started on on our main no. Q. If I leave phone off hook after they've called(as it is now) is the charge clocking on their bill?---please say yes or am I wasting my time & convenience of incoming calls. Thanks.
  • pricefighter
    Options
    gabgab wrote:
    Q. If I leave phone off hook after they've called(as it is now) is the charge clocking on their bill?---please say yes or am I wasting my time & convenience of incoming calls. Thanks.

Yes they would be paying for the call until it is terminated by one side or the other.However they are probaly paying next to nothing for the call,so it want be costing them a lot.
    PF.
  • gabgab
    gabgab Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply pricefighter, when they ring I try to leave phone off all day,inconvenient,but it gives me a little satisfaction in the war against these scum.
  • pricefighter
    Options
    gabgab wrote:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply pricefighter, when they ring I try to leave phone off all day,inconvenient,but it gives me a little satisfaction in the war against these scum.

You or on BT, so you can get free caller display now(PRIVACY AT HOME) if you had this,at least you would be able to choose which calls you would like to answer,and not miss an important call.
    PF.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been registered with tps for a couple of years now and up to now, its worked, but i to am starting to get those 'you've' won something' type of phone calls and it annoys me greatly. I think my next port of call is to phone telewest and ask that they block all witheld numbers - however i dont want to do that, because i had it before, and my sons high school couldnt get in touch with me, they had to use their own mobiles to contact me at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure