18866 Non BT access number

Options
manrow
manrow Posts: 185 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Today I used the 0808 access number on my father's BT landline to attempt to make 2 calls. The first was successful, the second a recorded voice said "this service is no longer available". Since my father is on a reduced line rental tariff, is this a new policy by BT?
Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS

Comments

• bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    It is possible. Only people on BT's Together 1,2 or 3 package are allowed to use other call providers and BT can't stop them.

I know those on Light User Scheme or In Contact Plus can't use other call providers.

If you dad isn't on one of the above schemes and it does appear they stopped the use of other providers then you could ask BT why that is and you may need to take it up with OfCOM if BT wont change their minds. There is no guarantee that OfCOM will allow it and may just say that your dad has to move to BT Together Option 1 to use other call providers.
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    manrow wrote:
    Today I used the 0808 access number on my father's BT landline to attempt to make 2 calls. The first was successful, the second a recorded voice said "this service is no longer available". Since my father is on a reduced line rental tariff, is this a new policy by BT?

Another member reported a problem with the 0808 no this morning.Suggest you try it again may have been a fault.
    PF.
  • manrow
    manrow Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to both posters for very sensible suggestions!
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport