We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Junior SIPP and/or Junior s/s ISA

Have 2 kids 13 & 16, considering opening SIPP and/or ISA for each. Will be low values in to start say £50p/m ea or £25 p/m ea if open both a SIPP and ISA, perhaps increase a bit after a year or so. Objective is just to get the savings / SIPP started and kids can take over once working etc. Mrs not so keen on SIPP as thinks world will end before 50 years up, my parents thought the same when I was a kid hence I did not start a pension till I was 40, so my thoughts are a yes on SIPP.

Whats the thoughts and opinions?

«1

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,887
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Mrs not so keen on SIPP as thinks world will end before 50 years up

    If it does, then it won't matter anyway. If it doesn't, then the children will be better off because of your actions. So, with the greatest of respect to your wife, I think her point of view is irrelevant.

    You should do it if you have surplus funds and can afford it.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Random47
    Random47 Posts: 176
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Wont tell Mrs her viewpoint is irrelevant - I like my teeth too much however much I agree with your view…

    Anyone have any opinions on platform. I've used Vanguard and Mrs has SIPP with them. I transferred mine to HL so I could small pot, and have AVC with Prudential. All seem fairly ok, but happy to hear others experience specifically to platforms and Junior SIPP/ISAs

  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 3,122
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I use hl for all my kids as it’s a one stop shop that does junior sipp and isa plus when 18 Lisa too. Their cash isa is good as well as it’s a isa market place and easy to move to higher paying accounts


    I’ve 2 that have reached 18 now and for each of them I handed over a folder and login with a sipp, LISA, stocks isa and cash isa.

    Any payments from relatives we’ve steered toward these accounts


    it’s a great gift to give to an 18 year old in my view not just from a tax efficient money 💵 perspective but also because it opens the door for a really good discussion about the various savings accounts on offer and the pros and cons of each hopefully encouraging good future habits

    Left is never right but I always am.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 5,890
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Any money in an ISA absolutely belongs to the kids when they get to 18 - useful for Uni / driving lessons, not so useful if they blow it all on partying.

    SIPPs won't be accessible until 57 (or later), so no use to them earlier if they wanted eg a house deposit, also if they are likely to be high flyers, it takes up some of the space for their own future payments in.

  • Random47
    Random47 Posts: 176
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Yeah that's the balancing 'theirs at 18 and theirs but not accessible' until whatever retirement age exists in 40 years or so. I think I'll pop for both ISA and SIPP it covers the bases.

    HL shout from Mistermeaner noted - Fidelity doing a zero annual fee but flexibility in HL seems better, plus I have SIPP there.

    Cheers

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,427
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    will they thank you at say 25 when they need as much as possible for a house deposit and it’s all tied up in a SIPP?

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Nurse2047
    Nurse2047 Posts: 446
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    my children are now 15&17 and I started their s&s isas and SIPPs about same age. Using Fidelity and very happy so far, invested in global fund. Paying in £25 pm also and like you started pension late so this will be a good start and compounding can do a bit of work also

    Nurse striving for financial freedom
  • NormalNorman
    NormalNorman Posts: 217
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    When daughter was born I opened a pension and been paying in for 19 years now. People thought I was stupid back then, perhaps not now. It's an asset growing in the background. I haven't gone the SIPP route, just a scheme from Aviva.

    It's a fraction of what we saved for her in whatever was the best scheme during the last 18 years. I say 18 as the last product was JISA. Used everything from NS&I children's bonds, 10% regular savers, Child Trust Fund etc. We also paid in every penny of her Child Benefit. Yes we did hand over a huge amount on her 18th. Was I worried, no. Fortunately now she is an avid saver.

    With IHT the way it is I'm glad I've been doing all this gifting.

  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 7,604
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador

    We did the same - the savings but not a pension- and gave it to her at 18. We call it her 'opportunity money' - not to be frittered away but there to enable take up of opportunities that she might not have been able to do otherwise. She is careful with it but has travelled to Japan and done vet work experience in South Africa.

    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • NormalNorman
    NormalNorman Posts: 217
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 8 October at 9:43AM

    I don't have any complaints with Aviva but looking at their web page they obviously have different products now. TBH the main thing is just to get started with a low cost sensibly invested scheme. I'm under no illusion daughters scheme is likely to be transferred into a workplace pension at some point in the future. The downside of that is it might make it more difficult for me to pay into as a third party?

    Also, although a long way off it's not only the opinion of other adults you have to deal with it's that of their peers. Daughter has heard third party that a few in her wider circle see her as spoilt. I appreciate that many kids are not as lucky and with the ongoing cost of living pressures it says to me they are also aware of the need to plan and save.

    You don't need me to tell you that if the kids have assets behind them it gives them options such as Uni, travel, experiences as well as the usual car, property etc.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.