We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Very poor to good

Don't realise how messing up your credit rating can effect you life. My credit rating was very poor due to stupid things I did.

I matured and came to Martins money and followed his advice. Went from very poor to good.

I have three catalogues I use to get small things but pay them off. I have two credit cards Zable with a £4000 limit I don't touch. I have a Capital one that started at a grand and went up to £1250 with out asking. Capital one was a zero percent interest for twelve months.

I had a balance on that for a few months then paid out a grand and now Experian just updated and shows balance £250.

Oh my credit score went up 9 points to 909 good so I'm happy about that. Experian keep telling me me about the good credit cards i can get with my decent score.

I'm a wise owl now so I've learned but what are your stories?

Was your score very poor and how did you build it back up?

Comments

  • MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,980
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    A truly wise owl recognises that the pretend credit scores don't matter.

    Lenders will only look at the data on your file.

    Use credit, but avoid carrying a balance at anything other than 0%.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,536
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    A wise owl would also realise that Experian are using the increasing made-up "score" to tell you about all the great new credit cards you can now apply for (for which they will receive commission on the signup).

  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 2,948
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Agreed, the CRA score is utterly meaningless. It's not used - not even seen - by any lender.

    But in terms of building up a solid credit history - which is what does matter - then you're doing the right thing. Essentially you want to show lenders that you can use credit responsibly, not borrow beyond your means, and always repay what you owe. One of the simplest ways to achieve this is by sensible use of a credit card. Use it for budgeted, planned purchases, and ALWAYS repay in full every month (unless you've got a 0% offer in force). Doing this means you'll never pay any interest or charges, and you'll gradually start to build up a good record of nice green ticks.

  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 5,728
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I'm a wise owl now

    The you will be wise enough to know that you do not have a credit score. (You can ignore the randomly generated number that the CRA's produce for amusement purposes)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.