We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Hosting foreign students
Hi,
I'm thinking about hosting foreign language students as a way to increase my income.
The payment is £26 per student per night and I need to provide 3 meals a day and drop the students off daily at 8am and collect them at 6:30pm
Has anyone else done this?
How can I make a profit whilst still giving them a nice meal?
Edit:
*not looking to make a living but a little extra income
*It will only be for 3 nights to try it out
*I will be having 2 french students
I have looked on the forum but the last post I could find was from 2019
Thanks
Lily
Comments
-
Think its meant to be more altruistic than profit generating, bulk cooking will bring the costs down but dont think you can specify that you dont want an vegans or anything so may end up having to cater for differing preferences
0 -
I did it many years ago, I don’t remember making much money from it - they were mostly nocturnal teenagers with hollow legs and all the problems that go with them! I was an EFL teacher for a while, the Spanish group I dealt with sent eight year olds! One child refused to eat anything except bananas, literally nothing else. But she had a LOT of pocket money and spent it all on sweets. When it came time to go home there was none left for presents to take home so she just helped herself to her host’s stuff.
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
ARE YOU STRUGGLING DURING THE HOLIDAYS? You may find some ideas on how to cope here:
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6576551/some-websites-and-helplines-if-youre-struggling-this-christmas0 -
i would search for other homestay agencies to compare fees because £26 seems very low.
A friend of mine makes a living from this, she hosts up to 4 students at a time on a bed and breakfast basis. She doesn't have to be a taxi either they get the bus.2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
