We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Chances of getting two PCNs cancelled after genuine parking permit misunderstanding (England)?

I am a first-time car owner and recently got a resident parking permit. I genuinely misunderstood where it was valid and thought I could park in the area directly in front of my flat.

I parked there several times after getting the permit without receiving any PCNs, which reinforced my misunderstanding. I received my first PCN yesterday and challenged it immediately. Before I received a response, I got a second PCN today. I then realized I must have misunderstood. I then called the council to clarify and was told that the area in front of my flat is a premium tariff zone, while my permit only covers the standard tariff zone which are the buildings beside my flat (office spaces).

I've now appealed the second PCN and asked them to review both together and use their discretion to cancel them as a gesture of goodwill. I've explained that if I'd known my permit didn't cover the area, I would have paid or moved my car.

I know how daft I probably sound and I'm genuinely embarrassed about the whole situation. I obviously won't make the same mistake again.

What do you think my chances are? Has anyone had a similar experience where the council cancelled PCNs due to a genuine misunderstanding?

Comments

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,362
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    This mse parking forum mainly deals with private parking company cases, not council

    So i suggest that you post your query over on the FTLA parking forum website after reading their posting requirements first

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.