We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What can I do with this card?

bigpat
bigpat Posts: 346 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

I recently got a Barclaycard 0% balance transfer card, purely to take advantage of the offer of 12 months Apple TV. But I don't actually have any balances to transfer. My only borrowings at the moment are a residential mortgage and two buy-to-let mortgages.

I looked in the Barclaycard app, under interest rates, and it shows both the "Simple standard rate" and the "Simple cash rate" as 22.44% so I'll be avoiding that!!

One of my mortgages is on a standard variable rate so I wonder if there is any way of making some overpayments using the card? Or anything else smart I can do with a limit of £5,500? I'm not looking at extra borrwing e.g. for a car or home improvements.

Or do I just stick the card away in a drawer, forget about it and enjoy the Apple TV when it activates?

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    You can't make mortgage repayments with a credit card, so if you have a balance transfer card but no balance to transfer then best just enjoy the ancillary benefit you signed up for!

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,912 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I recently got a Barclaycard 0% balance transfer card, purely to take advantage of the offer of 12 months Apple TV. But I don't actually have any balances to transfer. My only borrowings at the moment are a residential mortgage and two buy-to-let mortgages.

    Do you have a different credit card that you use for all your day-to-day spending? If you do, you can pay that by transferring the balance to your new Barclaycard.

    Repeat until you (a) hit the Barclaycard credit limit or (b) reach the end of the balance transfer window.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • bigpat
    bigpat Posts: 346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
  • bigpat
    bigpat Posts: 346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    No, I use a debit card for day to day spending. Ah well, not a big issue.

  • grumpy_codger
    grumpy_codger Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    1. Apply for another CC - Halifax Clarity.
    2. Transfer money from it to your current account (it's free with Clarity).
    3. Use this money to pay your mortgage or elsewhere.
    4. Transfer the balance from Clarity to Barclaycard.
  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The trick you're missing is to be using debit card rather than credit card for spending. There's no real downside to this provided you pay the card off in full, and it's very helpful for cashflow. Eventually you get to stoozing, or 0% on purchases for a lengthy period, during which you just make minimum payments.

    I wouldn't be balance transferring to the barclaycard if it's the one with the 3.15% fee for transfers, and enjoy Apple TV.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.