We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can anyone tell me what this plant is?

button_box
button_box Posts: 153
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite

I have diligently kept a notebook with the names of plants/varieties and now I have lost the notebook! I planted this several years ago and it has never produced these berried bracts before. I liked the leaves,so left it amongst the hosta and geranium. I think it came in a "collection"

1000010949.jpg

from Lidl.

Comments

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,255
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 October at 3:28PM

    looks like https://www.rhs.org.uk/weeds/lords-and-ladies

    Given they are poisonous and difficult to contain i doubt it was bought but more likely seed in droppings form a bird

  • StewedApple
    StewedApple Posts: 236
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 October at 3:36PM

    Are you sure this is not self-sown lords and ladies? - does look similar.

  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,087
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    That is lords and ladies and I believe the whole plant is toxic. It's a weed and it would not be self sown.

  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 10,844
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    If the white markings / marbling on the leaves are really pronounced it is probably arum Italicum.

    KK

    As at 26.09.26:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
    - OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
    c. 17 months reduction in term
    Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030

    Read 71 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 4th October. 
    Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026

    Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
    Watch your words, they become your actions. 
    Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,468
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 6 October at 8:48AM

    Yes, the leaves probably aren't at their best now. They can look quite striking in spring.

    They even get a plant profile entry with the RHS: https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/1658/arum-italicum/details

    I'm not a fan. I tried to coexist with the ordinary English ones, but they took advantage, so now they get a squirt from the sprayer.

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • Cressida100
    Cressida100 Posts: 372
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    This absolutely loves the shady areas in my garden. It was in my garden 32 years ago and comes back every year. I have a large garden so just leave it alone to fill some gaps, I didn't realise it was toxic.

  • Hi, I don't know what the plant is, but I've been using a free app to try to identify the plants in my garden and on dog walks.

    The one I've used is called Flora Incognita. It gives a percentage for how accurate it thinks the identification is. (I think it was developed by/with help from a university).

    There may be other better apps, but it's added more interest to walks, and our visits to open gardens.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.