We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Natwest switch rejection due to not being able to identify

hiya,

I applied to Natwest switch and went through their process:

I got an email stating:

We need to check your identity when you open a bank account. Unfortunately, we couldn’t do this with the information you gave us.

We’re sorry it didn’t work out this time. Thanks for your interest in the account and we hope it doesn’t put you off using our other services.

I had submitted a valid passport etc. I tried to contact them via their chat but got cut off twice. Has anybody on here had a similar experience? If so, how did you manage to get the switch? I went through a lot of effort to swicth, i'd hate to see it being for nothing. Thanks

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Just to be clear, there are two separate processes, opening an account and switching into it, and your issue is with the opening rather than the switching.

    If you contact their customer services team then they may be able to assist with ID verification, as it's poor to simply reject an application on the basis of inability to verify electronically and they may be able to offer help with a manual alternative…

  • Like yok i get the same.

    Been with nat west for 50 years and now I need a mobil phone, A driving licence, A passport. I don't have any of those. You'd think after 50 years they would know me by now.

    Seems to me that you can't do any sort of banking, or investments without a mobile phone. I had one once and and never used it, gave it away. Like they say, don't use it, sell it.

  • yok
    yok Posts: 20 Forumite
    10 Posts Second Anniversary
    edited Today at 2:47PM

    Thanks eskbanker,

    I contacted them on the chat. There was an issue with D.O.B ..Insteading of informing me and letting me resolve it, the application was rejected with no useful reason. The people who design these business processes have no brain..I feel the same way about the poll tax 😂

  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 3,682 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Been with nat west for 50 years and now I need a mobil phone, A driving licence, A passport. I don't have any of those. You'd think after 50 years they would know me by now.

    Given how lax account opening processes were 50 years ago the opposite is likely to be true. Banks now have a legal duty to know more about who their customers are, which means that many people who have been customers for years are having to provide additional documentation.

    It's annoying, but blame the criminal gangs and money launderers who made these additional steps necessary.

  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 5,040 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.