We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Insuring empty house for short period before sale

I decided to sell the house I was letting. The tenant moved out in August. The house is sold STC. The sale could complete in November. House currently empty, unfurnished.

What do people in these circumstances normally do about home insurance? The current insurers insist that after 30 days unoccupied - they insisted that 'unoccupied' means without permanent resident, i.e. not me or a friend staying occasionally - new stipulations kick in:

The Buildings must be inspected every 14 days by a professional managing agent and a detailed record must be maintained for Our inspection on request showing the dates visited, who attended and observations made.

All letter boxes and other openings must be securely sealed

I can get a friend to check up on the house, but 'professional managing agent' sounds more formal. I really do not want seal the letter box as surely this alerts by-passers to the property being empty (and I might receive important post).

I have read MSE's useful Unoccupied Home Insurance guide, but do I really need to get an expensive new policy for (hopefully) so short a time? What would you do?

Many thanks!

«1

Comments

  • monkey-fingers
    monkey-fingers Posts: 422
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Letterbox is easy. Block it from the inside of the house.

    Professional managing agent is a laugh. Most managing agents don't even know the rules, leave alone being regarded as a professional.

  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,628
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I suspect it's for the inspection report, rather than relying on someone self-certifying that they checked on the house.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,536
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    What would you do?

    How much are you out of pocket if the house burns down this afternoon?

    I'd be buying the insurance, expensive or otherwise.

  • #the bit about the inspection—is it in the ins contract?

    I guess every ins co is slightly different

  • Thank you monkey-fingers and Herzlos.

    I am wondering how I can be confident that the insurance company will accept that my reporter qualifies as a 'professional managing agent'.

    Good point about the letterbox, monkey-fingers. I will purchase a Blockabox.

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,977
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I am wondering how I can be confident that the insurance company will accept that my reporter qualifies as a 'professional managing agent'.

    Well, do they do it for a living or not?

  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,628
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You'd need to ask the insurance company. But I expect they'll want proof that they are a genuine company with some kind of professional liability insurance, and these checks are a normal part of their business.

    I don't think paying a friend to do the job would satisfy them.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,269
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    In short yes, by this insurer, but there are plenty of other insurers out there who have different requirements

  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 12,005
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    We had a landlord's policy on our house that required us to check every 14 days if the property were empty, and ensure the heating was on at a minimum temperature across the winter. We were able to cancel it when we had a tenant go in. This was about 9 years ago.

    It might be worth speaking to an insurance broker rather than trying to find something online. There was no need for us to have a professional agent checking the house for the cover to be valid.

    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.