We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Section 75 claim - solar installation damage

Hi all,

Back last December I had a solar panel install from a national company.

All Seemed OK until early January when there were heavy rain storms. I was sitting in my lounge when I noticed water running down a corner wall. On inspection of the loft, I noticed that a lug bolt from the panel rails had clearly gone in sideways through a rafter, splitting it. Water was seeping in through this bolt and running down the rafters in 2 directions, both leading to the corner of my lounge immediatly below.

I contacted the company who promised they would send someone out urgently to investigate. To cut a long story short, 2 weeks later a team arrived who found a broken tile under the panel above this area, they replaced it and left. During that 2 week period it had been raining heavily constantly leading to significant damage to the plaster of the wall and ceilings (and all the insulation had to be thrown out as it was sopping wet).

The company admitted responsibility and told me to get a quote to repair the damage and they would reinburse me. However, when I eventually managed to get someone in to asses the damage and quote, they refused to pay saying the quote was exessive.

I eventually got fed up with the companies excuses and opened a case with Barclaycard for a section 75 for the damage (thinking this night be a better route to take at this point as the whole thing had been paid on the card).

After several months of nothing much happening, Barclaycard have now contacted me to ask for an independant report that links the damage to my lounge to the install of the solar system .

I have no idea who to ask for this, and how it can be proved at this point.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

«1

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.