We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.Old Style Daily Monday 05 October 2026
Good morning everyone.
Comments
-
Morning, thanks Gers.
It's still dark, but seems to be a quiet enough morning. Yesterday was cold and damp.
We weren't out at all, going to the Book Club this morning though, and I'll do a bit of shopping while I'm out.
I need to get the heavier weight sitting room curtains out of the loft where they've been stored for the last few months, and get them up. I'm dreading it, they're long and thermal lined and heavy. They're for the bay window. This old house faces North East and in the winter we get some icy blasts. The window is double glazed, but it can still be chilly. I'll steam them once they're up, get the creases out.
That's my main job for today, dh will help, I''ll be glad when they're up.
Hope everyone is all right - thoughts to the poorlies, human and animal!
Take care folks.
.
10 -
Morning All
Thanks for the start Gers, hope it's not too blowy where you are, it's very windy here this morning.
Good luck with the curtains Scarlet.
Lovely day out yesterday, really enjoyed it and SIL drove us in his swish new car. It was a bit drizzly and blowy so we had some of the picnic walking around the Palace grounds then had the rest when we got home.
Full week at work this week then a week off for half term so lots to get done before we finish. I'm being a bit naughty today and taking some black bags of garden rubbish to the big bins at work so they don't fill up my bin here - I'm too tight to pay for the brown bin permit!
Hoping everyone is well or recovering. Take care. XX
9 -
Morning all
Looks a nice day out there and feels quite mild at the moment too.
Irritating cough decided to be a lot worse this morning so I'm off to get some cough medicine later. Bedding to hang out and then I'm going to put away all my summer clothes and bring out all the winter stuff. My newish bed drawers don't seem to be as robust as my old bed was so they don't open and close well with too much weight in them so I might have to do a bit of changing around to get everything sorted.
Nothing else planned after that.
{{hugs}} to any other poorlies and forgot to mention the poor doggie with his dentistry visit. Hope he's OK too
Have a good day all x
9 -
morning everyone thanks for the start Gers.its dry here and not to cold I think we are due rain later I’m off out to meet my friend we will have a coffee and a catch up. Scarlet get your curtains up as soon as you can then it’s out of the way it’s one of those jobs you dread but pleased when it’s done . Chirsca hope your cough gets better soon it can wear you out . Camelot I’m too tight to pay for a lot of things .i had a 5 pounds voucher for Lidl yesterday I needed yogurt and eggs I thought I will soon spend that when I went in I seen some heat logs for a fiver I thought I will get them it makes them free I will have to get a trolley picked them up they were so heavy dropped them in the trolley trapped my fingers smashed 2 nails off and got a blood blister on another finger went to grab the trolley that was moving across the floor burst the blood blister I had blood everywhere the manager came and give me a plaster talk about calamity Jane you couldn’t make it up that how excited I get about a free fiver . Thinking of all the poorlies hugs to those that need them have a good day everyone whatever you are doing
9 -
Morning all
It’s very foggy here and feels cold as well, I changed over to the winter duvet yesterday and slept so much better, I have been waking up in the early hours cold, I don’t think it will be long till we light the log burner.
Off to mums this morning I have to fill her dosset boxes and order meds as well as several other jobs. We contacted my nephews recently and told them that mum was getting more and more frail and that they might want to visit ( she has not seen them for about three years) two were meant to come yesterday afternoon but one messaged that he was going to the cinema instead 😩 so only one turned up, I love them but they are infuriating sometimes.
Dinner tonight is ham egg and chips, dd is off today so will cut the chips ready for later.
I washed the summer duvet last evening so that can go on the line shortly, I also spent some time in the garden tidying for winter I still have a bit to do so will try and do that this week.
Have good days all and take care xx
9 -
Morning folks and thanks GERS. The blowy wind must be higher up than us here, we are just forecast a moderate breeze. There will be drizzle too but temps are still remaining around 18/19 deg. That's until Wednesday when colder weather is due to arrive.
IZZY what a performance that sounded all for the sake of a fiver! I hope your hand soon recovers. SCARLET you be careful tackling the heavy curtains. CHRISCA I hope the cough soon leaves you, it's draining when you are hacking away constantly.. I've had a silly tickly cough for a few days, then last night it got worse and I sounded like a sea lion barking away. This morning it's back to just tickly but my throat is sore and I just feel lifeless. So it could go either way today.
I had promised myself a start with soup making this morning, until I realised there was simply no freezer space for ramming in numerous tubs of soup. So I have settled on just a pan of Leek and Potato. Most of it will go in the fridge to keep me supplied for lunches this week and I'm sure I will find room for a tub for the rest in the freezer somewhere!
Have a good day all if you can with ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, sad or lonely. Take care all, be safe x
"If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"9 -
feels colder here today but my Hive reckons it’s 19.3 in the bungalow so I refuse to put the heating on and will build up resistance.
Your fingers sound painful Izzy ,hope it recovers quickly.
I’m off on the last garden visit of the season this morning taking two friends ,it’s grey and chilly here ,hope it warms up ,but at least it’s dry .
More sorting ou this afternoon if I can stay awake after lunch
Stay safe all
9 -
Just off to walk Bdog; he has recovered so well from his dental exploits - quite funny to watch him trying to find the right teeth to chew a medium-soft biscuit. He's 12 tomorrow so will get a vet check up for his birthday 🤭
Think it's a day of cleaning and tidying as I seem to have got behind on the chores.
Take care all
AA
8 -
Morning everyone
It's dull here this morning but there's no rain forecast which is good as I've washing to put out. We really enjoyed our day out on Saturday, the sun came out in the afternoon, but by the time the fireworks finished it was quite chilly and the picnic blanket we were sitting on was wrapped round our legs. The water cascade was all lit up and the fireworks were excellent, little one was very proud of herself because she wasn't scared of them - she had a woolly hat then her hood up and I pressed my hands against her ears! She was very impressed by the 2 ladies juggling with and then eating fire… she thought it was a very strange job to want to do!
Lovely king size bed was waiting for us, she fell asleep in minutes. DD picked us up earlier than planned on Sunday as little lad hadn't been well, he had his vaccinations on Friday and they knocked him for six. Little one wanted to come back to my house so I did some garden tidying while she made a house for a little tiny snail, using my colander of course. After lunch we went down to visit mam and dad, little one wanted to take her Frustration game, mam couldn't remember how to play, which made me feel quite sad at first, but little one was so patient with her and never once said she was doing it wrong, taking her hand and counting for her and helping her move her pieces…even when she was knocking little one's own pieces out. Somehow mam won the game, little one was cheering her and mam was so pleased with herself….I felt quite teary again!
Right I really must stop waffling and get on…I've the washing to put out, a bag to empty from yesterday and the floors need hoovered. I hope you all have a good day x
9 -
Morning all and thanks for the start @Gers x
I've been AWOL again due to daily Daddy Day Care, although I don't mind as he's 86 and there's only so many more times he will be here with us in the UK. It's my volunteering afternoon today and nephew usually pops in with my DDad.
DH finished the greenhouse yesterday by installing the staging. I raked up the leaves on the lawn as DH would like to cut it tomorrow and this will make it less burdensome. I filled 3 x ton bags! The trees are still in leaf so Lord knows where these are from.
Little kitten is now very leggy and thinks it's great to jump on the kitchen worktop. Had a near miss with a hot omelette pan on the hob yesterday morning. Curiousity etc……
Work haven't needed me since mid-July so I contacted them to say shall I get my laptop wiped and they said yes as the mortgage market is stagnant. So I've been in touch with the IT guy this morning who did that for me. Not sure what's next, maybe nothing. DH seems to think I should retire (at 57) which is fine for now as DDad is here and taking up my time, but what happens when he returns to his home abroad.
You be careful with those heavy curtains @ScarletRibbons it sounds like a mammoth job. However if it means keeping warmer it'll be worth it.
Ouch to your injuries @IzzyBee although a fiver's a fiver! Glad you got something useful for it.
Glad you enjoyed your trip with DGD @dp1 - so sweet of her to help your Mam with the game x
Hope Bdog is feeling okay @AlwaysAllie and your ankle is now okay.
Pork chops for tea tonight. Was going to have chicken but I forgot to get it out of the freezer doh!
Have a good day all
Coxy
Cross-stitch WIP: Haberdashery Shop Fiver Friday challenge 2026 founding member 😊 Read 26 books in 2026 18/26 Currently
reading The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (19)9
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
