We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Corp Bonds on ii

Are they all phone-only (with all that entails) ?

Comments

  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes, you can trade a selection of corporate bonds online. Should you be dealing in individual bonds if you can’t find the answer to your question? It’s lower risk if you stick to investment trusts, ETFs or funds for investing in bonds.

  • michael1234
    michael1234 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October at 8:16PM

    I'm not an expert, but if I invest in a basket of funds via an ETF for example, then unless it specialises in short dated bonds, I'd be quite exposed to interest rates. A single bond with a short date, my risk is more focused on the company itself. I prefer that.

    I've noticed my ISA in iweb allows many retails bonds but the ones in ii seem a bit limited unless you telephone them which is obvisouly not as convenient nor is it free (£100 round trip buy/sell I think).

  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 7,602 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I believe that II don't charge the normal phone fee for buying things that can't be done online - like gilts/bonds

    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,561 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes, that's been my experience, they charge the online dealing fee for phone trades that can't be done online.

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I could be wrong but I think buying individual corporate bonds can trigger a "Do you know what you are doing" check at some places.

  • michael1234
    michael1234 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I wonder if someone who has an account could confirm the bonds in this list are available for purchase online ?

    https://www.ajbell.co.uk/investment/bonds/corporate/prices

    Also, am I missing a big thread somewhere comparing the fees of the major siip providers? For AJ bell it looks like just £10 per month assuming no trading and assuming no funds held (presumably ETF "funds" are acceptable)? And do they charge the rules frequently I wonder?

  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 18,673 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!

    One aspect that you may wish to consider is that most (95% is one figure I have seen) of UK corporate bonds are not readily available to private investors due to very high minimum purchases.. They tend to be only traded in large quantities by financial institutions and funds. I guess the issuers dont really want the hassle of dealing with large numbers of small bond holders.

    So if you want to go into corporate bonds seriously you may have to use funds.

  • michael1234
    michael1234 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    100K - too much for me.

    And the large spread.

    However, There are quite a few retail bonds with 1k minimums. My research seems to be converging on HL….

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.