We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Item Description - Seller Silence

Bit of an eBay quandary. There's an Auction of some figures ending this eve. Good start price and no Watchers. However, the photos are poor quality and zero description of item condition. I've messaged Seller twice for Condition confirmation but with no reply. I even tried making a lower Offer to again try and get an answer on condition - no reply. So where would I stand if I bid and win auction but they're all damaged ? Can I raise a SNAD ?

Comments

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,798
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Bit of an eBay quandary. There's an Auction of some figures ending this eve. Good start price and no Watchers. However, the photos are poor quality and zero description of item condition. I've messaged Seller twice for Condition confirmation but with no reply. I even tried making a lower Offer to again try and get an answer on condition - no reply. So where would I stand if I bid and win auction but they're all damaged ? Can I raise a SNAD ?

    I don't think, in this scenario, you could raise a SNAD case based upon the condition of the figurines.

    You have the photo which is poor quality. There is no description of item condition. You have a record of the condition being uncertain through the messaging system.

    If you buy these you have to do so on the basis (and price point) that the condition could be less than desirable. You can't say they are not meeting the description in the listing as there is no condition stated in the listing.

  • goodfella66
    goodfella66 Posts: 440
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I suspect the bad photos, lack of communication and lack of item description means the seller is hiding the true condition. Avoid and move on.

  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,657
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    If there is no description of the condition then how can it be INAD ? Clearly it cannot.

    Depends on how cheap you think you can get them for ? What else does the seller sell ? If all their other items are well described and photographed you have the answer….

    As an ebay seller it's safe to say that Ebay will side with the buyer, poor photos can also work to your advantage, "more damage than shown in the photos".

    Personally I work on the theory that overall I win in these situations but one in 5 purchases might be duff thats just the cost of bargain hunting in this way.

  • zackary71
    zackary71 Posts: 321
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thanks for the replies all. Interestingly the other unrelated items listed all have Condition included (along with AI guff) so I guess that's a red flag. I wouldn't be put off by damage itself, but it does affect the value...so gonna steer clear and see if it gets relisted with Condition information. Thanks again

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,237
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Always a mystery with buyers, looking for some items recently where there was 2 versions and many sellers
    failed to state which version they had. Some model numbers gave incorrect info.

    Contacting a couple of sellers informing them their parts were labelled wrongly and the replies just
    confirmed that fact but they did not alter the listing. There will be some unhappy buyers.

    I did not want to risk buying the wrong model and mess with returns.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.