We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Nationwide FlexAcount Switch Offer
Hello
I'm looking to switch to Nationwide from Santander, to get their £175 switch offer.
The criteria says:
You won’t get the offer if you’ve received one before
You can only receive this switch offer:
• For your first eligible sole current account switch since 2021; and
• For your first eligible joint current account switch since 2021.
For joint accounts, the switch won’t be eligible if one of the joint account holders has already received a joint switch offer, even if
the other account holder hasn’t received one before.
Opening a new account with us does not make you eligible for this offer if you’ve already received a switch offer for a sole or joint account.
If you’re switching into an existing account and that account has already received a switch offer at any time since 2021, you won’t be
eligible for the offer again.
I did get a switch bonus from them in 2017, I never used the account and it was closed a couple of years later. On the MSE site it says I'm eligible since I've not had a switch bonus from them since 2021, but in the terms above I think it's saying I'm not eligible? This would be a new sole account as the old one I had with them closed years ago.
Do I actually qualify for this?
Thanks
Comments
-
The T&Cs state if you haven't had one since 2021
I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?0 -
I did get a switch bonus from them in 2017, I never used the account and it was closed a couple of years later. On the MSE site it says I'm
eligible since I've not had a switch bonus from them since 2021, but in the terms above I think it's saying I'm not eligible?The T&C's are unclear and possibly misleading, and the Nationwide online eligibility checker can't be relied on.
Bear in mind:
"Since 2021" means on or after 01/01/2021.
Even if you've had a sole account switch 'since 2021' you can still have a joint account switch if you've not had one of those (and vice versa).
If you've had a sole switch you might be told you are still eligible, but the small print is "only if you now do a joint switch". (and vice versa)
If you've had one sole or joint switch you might be told incorrectly that you can't have another, when in reality you can still have the other one.
Based on what you've said I think you are eligible, but I wouldn't go ahead without calling Nationwide to get them to confirm (and make a note of the details of the call in case they get it wrong).
Also bear in mind the cashback/interest offer on the FlexDirect account is a different thing with different eligibility. With that one you can get the offer if you closed your FlexDirect account(s) more than 3 years ago, and isn't connected to switching.
0 -
The Google says that Nationwide first offered a switch bonus in August 2021 so the OP's claim to have received a switch bonus in 2017 is anomalous.
Was there perhaps some earlier promotion or bonus for moving an account to Nationwide that might not be considered a full "CASS switch"?
0 -
…the OP's claim to have received a switch bonus in 2017 is anomalous.
In 2017 the offer was if you referred a friend and they switched then you both got £100. In plain language that could be called a 'switch offer', particularly if you were the friend. Nationwide are saying such offers don't count if they were before 01/01/2021 though.
1 -
flaneurs_lobster The Google says that Nationwide first offered a switch bonus in August 2021
This is correct. Prior to that the offers were referral bonuses (link is to the terms of their last referral bonus offer which ran from 2018 to 2020) which are not considered by Nationwide as switch offers. While a switch was required for these offers, it had to be done by Nationwide's Current Account Switch Team.
August 2021 was Nationwide's first switching offer to use CASS.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


