We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Consumer rights for cancelling a prepaid service
I have been trying to resolve an issue with online searches but get conflicting advise and do not understand what my consumer rights are. Hoping for some clarity and assistance - thank you.
I went to a nail salon last Tuesday to discuss and book an appointment for a manicure.
No person could assist and I was pointed to an online booking system based in the salon. I selected my treatment but it could not accept my selection without prepayment.
I therefore went ahead and paid. I was sent a confirmation email and a link with terms and conditions and how to change or cancel the appointment which was booked for 3:40pm on Wednesday.
When I got back home because of an unexpected personal situation I was forced to cancel the appointment. The terms say that you must cancel at least 12 hours prior to the appointment time. This was around 3pm on Tuesday that I first attempted to cancel online.
The box on the screen actually said that the appointment had been cancelled and to wait for a confirmation email.
A few hours later still not confirmation email of the cancellation. I assumed that the system had a glitch
At about 6pm I tried again. Took screenshots of all my attempts and finally contacted their customer service to explain the situation and how I had not received the confirmation email.
The next morning I received an email from their customer service saying that I could not cancel, only choose another date for the appointment because I had booked in the salon.
I went to the salon, spoke to a lady who said that they would cancel the appointment and I would not be charged.
I then received another email from customer service to say that I cannot be refunded and can only move the appointment to another date
I then booked another appointment on line at home, no prepayment required this time, but then after re-reading email realised that the customer service has to move the appointment. So I cancelled the on that I had booked at home - no problem. The cancellation was accepted and I received a confirmation email.
Very confusing that they have different ways of treating your booking.
I then responded to customer service asking them to move the appointment while I try and sort out the issue as I thought it better to take this precaution and not lose my money.
Again I tried to cancel the appointment that they made for me but again same issue. Cannot cancel it at all and money was taken from my account.
I did raise a dispute with the credit card company but I am waiting for the outcome. The next appointment is on Wednesday 7th October so they will have been given more than enough notice
Please can you advise whether I am within my rights to cancel and get a refund? Thank you
Comments
-
Prepayment for a manicure?
Can't you just go and get the manicure that you've already paid for?
Are you saying that the salon is unable to deal with bookings either in person or on the telephone?
0 -
Can you confirm how many deductions have been made - is it just the initial booking or were you subsequently charged for the booking made from home?
0 -
I have been charged just once for the original booking Thank you
0 -
They have an automated system and you can only book online - not in person or on the telephone. When you go to online help it directs you to an AI and you cannot discuss anything other than their preloaded questions and answers. Really ghastly. I only managed to find the customer service email address by doing an online search
0 -
So if you've been charged once, have you had this appointment (or a rescheduled one?).
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
