We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Changes in your retirement expenditure

2»

Comments

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I would describe my planning as chaotic. I had a spreadsheet set up about a decade in advance to keep track of my potential pensions but didn't consider expenses as such. Despite my background in debt advice I've never been the sort that had a budget rather I just make sure all the bills are paid.

    Strange things happened - redundancy, inheritance. And the odd one is my OH decided he wanted his own money so his pensions are being paid into an account that he manages all by himself. (don't worry - I have access). Net result is that I deal with the household finances and he pays for holidays (blinking expensive ones & lots too!!) and his clothing, cigars and fancy whisky.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 29,749 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    WE are spending a fair bit more in retirement as we have time to do all those bits and pieces in the house that we never had time to, more holidays (even if they are cheaper due to no time restrictions) and more activities.

    We did think there might be a 'kids moving out' dividend but that has yet to materialise. Luckily we lived very frugally before retirement so although our spend is up by about 30%, it is still lower than the 50% increase in disposable income we had organised.

    I think....
  • tigerspill
    tigerspill Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Our expenditure rocketed when we retired. This was expected due to planned travelling while we can.

    As it turns out, because our investments have done so well, we can spend even more. I have now locked in our new much higher income by derisking 15 years to ILGs plus short term cash to guarantee our ongoing income.

  • maxaxe
    maxaxe Posts: 33 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks for the comments. It seems that my desire to spend more than I currently do is not totally unreasonable (I haven't seen guides that suggest this). I always assumed that I would have more hours in a day to fill with expensiver hobbies and holidays.

    It seems like this forum is filled with very prudent finance planners. I hope to learn from you!

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    There is an IFA who regularly posts on these forums. Apparently one of the most common advice recommendations he dispenses to his older clients is - you have enough, go and spend it !

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.