We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Changes in your retirement expenditure

A smorgasbord question for those who planned retirement and have retired.

How well has your actual expenditure matched your modelling? Did you use your expenditure just prior to retirement to estimate your retirement expenses? I understand most research indicates that people spend a bit less, but similar than preretirement? Anyone who planned to spend more in retirement?

Did you have substantial unforseen expenses? Medical treatment or unexpected repairs?Perhaps an unexpected new hobby or caught the travel bug?

What is your outlook on affording to continue? Anyone forced back to employment and if so what are your thoughts on this?

Particularly interested in those who have retired (very) early.

«1

Comments

  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Never got the chance to do much planning, it happened very quickly. Post retirement I took up golf which can be an expensive pastime. Also been doing more holidays, cruises and short breaks, so expenditure has been higher then pre-retirement.

  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 18,669 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    edited 2 October at 11:21PM

    Our retirement planning was based on matching our pre-retirement income after paying into pensions and savings with 3% inflation and an investment return of 4%.

    Over 20 years later, after early retirement in my mid 50s, we have about the same money in investments in £ terms as when we retired despite subsequently buying a couple of annuities. We take small ship cruise holidays every year and will continue to do so whilst health permits.

    Our day to day standard of living is much the same as pre-retirement and there has never been a need to economise.

    The one major unplanned expense was a move to a larger house in a better location financed by ER.

  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 13,873 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    For several years before retirement I did a spreadsheet of expenditure each month so I could actually see what we were spending. We don't budget but put everything on a credit card and pay that off fully at the end of each month so it wasn't really specific. That allowed us to actually see what our expenditure was, deduct the things that we wouldn't require in retirement and plan ahead.

    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!

    We retired in our early 50s once we were confident that our assets would support spending higher than our actual spending in the preceding years. Good market returns and the impact of some un planned part time work mean we could afford to spend 50% more than that figure, even after adjusting for inflation. By dint of great effort we are managing to get the spend up to around 10% more :)

  • maxaxe
    maxaxe Posts: 33 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks for the responses. I think the replies show that people planned very conservative withdrawals, so an increase in spending was easily absorbed. Probably the recent market performance has helped. Anyone that had a less conservative plan? I'm particularly interested to hear from people that felt obligated to unretire.

    For context, I'm concerned about retiring early, then realising that something unforseen drastically increases my outgoings, then being too late to work any more (and too young to die 🤔). This tends not to happen on average as far as research goes (as far as I can tell), but am keen to hear from others' experiences.

    It's also clear to me that I want to spend more than I currently do in retirement because I will have an extra 40 hours a week to fill.

  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 9,578 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 9,578 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I retired 9 years ago at 53. Actual expenditure has matched my modelling very closely, but I was tracking my expenditure closely before retirement. I had also been saving for all my foreseeable and unforeseable expenses for a good 10 years prior to retirement, so I had a good handle on what money I was likely to need.

    I expected to spend a little less in some area; work clothes, food at work, and we also went down to one car. I expected to spend a little more in other areas, more holidays and a new hobby (I took up dinghy racing, which has proven to be very cheap for me. Now that I have bought my own boat, which cost £500, I only spend about £250 a year on this.)

    Seeing the returns I have been able to make consistently from my personal pensions, and due to so good market returns on my stocks and share ISA, I have recently indulged my desire to buy and run a high-performance sports car. (Annual costs are c£2,500).

    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Catapult
    Catapult Posts: 53 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    You could mix it up a bit - keep some of your pot(s) invested and Drawdown as and when to cover unexpected stuff in the future - buy an Annuity (flat or inflation-linked) with the rest to cover day-to-day 'normal' expenses, bills etc. (Annuity rates are superb at the moment). If we could predict the future, this would be so much easier😄

    http://pensionpuma.co.uk/

    Pension Puma - www.pensionpuma.co.uk

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    (and too young to die 🤔)

    Ah Good old Jethro Tull.

  • ali_bear
    ali_bear Posts: 702 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I think because of the way markets have ballooned in recent years you won't find many on here who've had to return to work through financial hardship.

    The sample set here are more financially savvy than most, and understand that the above situation may not go on forever, so are tending to be prudent in how they approach retirement income and spending.

    🐻 A little FIRE lights the cigar 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.