We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Samsung contract

Rumana03
Rumana03 Posts: 217
Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 2 October at 7:59PM in Consumer rights

Hi,

Recently I purchased the Samsung S26 via the Samsung site. The contract is with o2. The order went through fine and the phone and sim were dispatched and received. I spent ages transferring all my stuff from old phone to new phone.

I already had a contract with o2 which had finished and was rolling now so I cancelled that thinking I will port my number and bring back to o2.

The new sim was not working so I contact mobileshop (3rd party who deal with Samsung contract orders). They said that the contract was stuck because the network said there is a name mismatch. Now I changed my surname to my married name last year and I didn't update this with o2 and totally forgot. So somewhere on the credit check this must have flagged.

I tried multiple times to send the marriage certificate to o2 but they kept saying they can't see the attachment in the emails I sent. It was getting silly with me sending it 3 times. Eventually I went via Instagram and managed to get them to confirm that they have updated my record.

Went back to mobileshop to let them know. Now yesterday they emailed me to say that the contract has been cancelled and I need to return the mobile! Does this make sense? I recieved the phone on the 17th Sept and they told me 1st Oct that the contract has not gone through.

Not only that but me thinking ok I will need to send this phone back, let me try placing another order for the same phone and same contract (slightly more expensive and no freebies this time). Once again mobileshop cancelled but this time emailed straight away saying cos I have had one contract cancelled recently I cannot purchase another one in 90 days with them.…

The actual nerve of this company...also o2 said to me today that on their records it just showed up today that I have applied for a new o2 contract. It doesn't show as cancelled yet on their end.

Has anyone been through similar and is there any way to get them to process a new contract?

I already purchased accessories for the phone and now I'll have to return it and they also seem to not have offered anything more than a pathetic apology and say they sent the mobile to me in error.

Thanks for reading this...

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,517
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Just errors compounding errors.

    Any chance you could just pay for the phone outright and just finish all the finance deals? Or just return the phone?

    Because otherwise you will hit a nasty wall where mobileshop will demand the return of the phone, you say no that's daft, and they default your account, at which point you won't be getting credit for a new phone (or anything else) for a bit longer than 90 days.

  • Rumana03
    Rumana03 Posts: 217
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I will send back the phone but I did say to them can I pay for it and keep it but they even refused that...if I had managed to get a new contract approved today, I could have sent them the new phone from that. Whereas the one I have the box is open and I have used it lightly.

    I have emailed them today to complain that they have cancelled another order from me even though I rectified the name mismatch issue.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,517
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    ..if I had managed to get a new contract approved today, I could have sent them the new phone from that. Whereas the one I have the box is open and I have used it lightly.

    Just as well you didn't do that, the individual phones will be associated with the different contracts and you would have made a pisspoor situation worse.

    Pretty inflexible system that won't allow an override if you want to pay off the finance deal (very) early.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.