We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Having time off in between jobs

Would you have a 2 week break in between leaving an old job and starting a new job if you could afford it?

«1

Comments

  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,788 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Yes

    (added to make enough characters)

    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • StewedApple
    StewedApple Posts: 226 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    If it were the back end of January and miserable weather - no. But if it were high summer - definitely.

  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Did that once, perfect for a holiday.

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,262 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I took a month off after I was made redundant before I even thought about job hunting again. It was August, I could afford it, and I felt I’d earned it.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 13,873 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes and longer if you could use a couple of weeks leave left from the old job.

    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 2,808 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I am struggling to think of anyone I know who hasn't.

    Most have been much longer than 2 weeks.

    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    My longest gap between permanent jobs was 3 years, although I did do a few months of part time work in that time and also studied for a Masters degree for a year. I had other breaks of 3 or more months between jobs on several occasions, usually so I could go travelling.

  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 18,783 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper

    Yes I would, and did, take a break between jobs. A chance to relax for a while and have time to myself.

  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,655 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 3 October at 9:45PM

    Just coming to the end of it. And have loved it!

    Of course - kept saying 'I'll do that at the end of September when I'm off' and ended up with enough plans to last two months rather than two weeks! But at the end of it, I've done some important stuff and some fun stuff, so I think it's OK :)

  • monkey-fingers
    monkey-fingers Posts: 421 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Did exactly this last year.
    Was made redundant on August 17th. I had a couple of weeks holiday and some festivals booked.

    Started looking properly in mid September. Started work on 6th October.

    Turns out I had some skills that many people wanted.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.