We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Trainline flagged my debit card as fraud

2»

Comments

  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,407 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    have you spoken with your bank? I've had the same declines with other companies and my bank said there was no declined payment and the issue was with the website I was buying from.

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 741 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Some years ago I bought some ink cartridges from a website of somebody I had used before. The next day I got an email saying my card had failed and asked me to reorder. I did not, went elsewhere. A few weeks later my card was misused (by somebody in India…), noticed immediately by my bank and cancelled. I found out later in the computer media that their website had been hacked, presumably at the time I used it, and clearly my card details had been leaked. The company never acknowledged this.

    So be wary, Trainline may have been hacked? I gather though you have now bought your tickets. But if you have not, get them elsewhere like the train company's website, and avoid Trainline.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,496 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    When you called Trainline after the bounced payment, where did you get the phone number from? Any chance you still have that number in your mobile?

  • StewedApple
    StewedApple Posts: 232 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    Like others, this request rings alarm bells with me.

    I can think of no way in which a legitimate retailer would either ask for or gain any value from your identity documents. If a transaction fails, they should either repeat it or refund it (depending on the nature of the failure) - this activity is done via the card debit/credit process, and your identity documents are not needed for this process.

    This smacks of fraud by impersonating a legitimate business.

    I would definitely speak to your bank about this transaction, but walk away rapidly from this without disclosing any more information however genuine they seem.

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,783 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Of course, someone creating a scam website copy of a genuine service would only need users to be "pretty certain" the scam site is genuine to be successful.

  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Given that Trainline charge for tickets and the websites of rail companies do not you may have been given a timely reminder of an alternative.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,146 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Or even worse someone has used software like the BA (not hack) Compromise in 2018. where they set up a layer to take payments.

    Life in the slow lane
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.