We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Trainline flagged my debit card as fraud
As per the title, trainline flagged my debit card as fraud when I tried to buy tickets this week. Now they've emailed me saying that to resolve the situation, I need to provide a copy of some photo ID and a screenshot of a recent bank statement… Has anyone else experienced this? I managed to get to London yesterday and used my card all day with no issue.
Comments
-
Stop using Trainline?
Use Trainline with a different card?
Can see no reason why Trainline would need to verify your identity (which is what they are asking). They are flogging train tickets not granting you a bank loan.
If they want to bounce your card, fair enough. The rest is just unnecessary.
0 -
Sounds like pretty much all that's needed to commit identity fraud - particularly if they have your address as well - these people sell tickets - buy them somewhere else.
0 -
Exactly my thoughts. Yes, I can and will buy them elsewhere, but I'm just curious as to what the heck Trainline are doing here… I also wondered if this had happened to anyone else…
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending1 -
Thinking about this, did you attempt to buy tickets at Trainline online and the payment failed?
Could be any number of reasons for this but then getting an email alleging fraud just sounds wrong - not even your bank would accuse you of this without some serious investigation and even then they'd be referring to the police since fraud is a crime.
How confident are you in the bona fides of that email?
1 -
Yes, I attempted to buy tickets online from Trainline and the payment failed. It didn't give a reason. I called up and they said that their system was flagging my card as potential fraud. Then I said 'Well I've used my card elsewhere today and yesterday with no issue, can you get this fixed?' Then they said someone would be in touch and I got the email approx 24hrs later.
The email must be from Trainline. It would be an incredible coincidence to have received that email at the time of this issue otherwise, but it still seems rather odd to me. No other company is having an issue with this debit card…
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending0 -
Check with your bank to see if there is anything flagged on your account (unlikely since the card is still working).
I'd be ignoring Trainline's request.
Did they not suggest trying a different card?
How does a retailer's system flag up fraud? "Payment not worked" should be the extent of their information from a failed payment attempt.
2 -
After your last message, I've emailed them asking them to put in writing the exact nature of the issue with the card and exactly why they require the information they've requested.
Yes, on the phone they said I could use another card. I don't have many cards, so that's one issue. I did manage to use Paypal in the end, but I'm now of the opinion that unless they can give a reasonable explanation for this issue and their request, I will just stop using them.
The website didn't mention fraud when the payment failed. I can't remember the exact language, but something generic just like 'your payment has failed'. It was only when I called them to ask what they problem was that they said my card had been flagged as potential fraud.
I'll call my bank, but I agree, unlikely to be an issue as I've been using it elsewhere with no problem.
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending1 -
Are you absolutely certain you were on the genuine Trainline site and not an impersonation site that has to bounce the payment because they can't actually sell train tickets and that gives the operator of the false site the "in" to go phishing?
3 -
It does seem an odd request by Trainline but not an odd request from someone purporting to be Trainline looking to get enough information from you to put to a less than legal use.
Check with your bank to see if a Trainline payment was declined.
Once you and your bank are happy, buy train tickets elsewhere. Plenty of good options available.
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid0 -
Yeah, I'm pretty certain.
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

