We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Universal credit yes or no.

I have recently lost my job and am currently weighing up whether or not I should go on Universal Credit to help with bills at home. I currently have £17,246 saved in a Moneybox LISA and I have a high credit score.

I am worried that if I take U.C my credit score will tank and I will struggle to buy a place of my own.

Comments

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,779 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I have recently lost my job and am currently weighing up whether or not I should go on Universal Credit to help with bills at home. I currently have £17,246 saved in a Moneybox LISA and I have a high credit score.

    I am worried that if I take U.C my credit score will tank and I will struggle to buy a place of my own.

    AIUI, money held in LISA still classed as capital for UC application so that level of savings would preclude access to means tested benefits.

    You may be eligible for some non-means tested benefits. nJSA is likely to be available depending upon your NI contributions record.

    Even if you are not eligible for any benefits it can be worth signing on as a good Work Coach can be a great support in that path through to a new role.

    When you say you "lost your job" does that mean that you have any redundancy pay, pay in lieu of notice, holiday pay, etc?

    Claiming benefits would be unlikely to affect your credit score as much as expending any savings you have.

    Your priority needs to be returning to work in a new job - this may feel hard now but you may look back on the current challenge and see it as a blessing in a year's time.

    Good luck.

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,262 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Your credit score has no bearing on future decisions about lending to you.

    It is your credit history and affordability that lenders will taken into account, and each will have their own criteria and scoring system.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • Altior
    Altior Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 2 October at 5:59PM

    As above, you won't qualify for UC based on the upper capital limit.

    Your largely meaningless credit score is unaffected by benefits. For example I have not had any earned income for 15 months now and still have a strong 'score'. Of course, I need to be honest in any applications that test credit, eg energy switches. So my currently strong credit report is also largely irrelevant as I wouldn't qualify for any new credit!

    It's the usual variables that will be significant once your income hopefully recovers. As long as you don't miss any payments, get any defaults et al, I wouldn't see it having a lasting impact. High street mortgage lenders will however want to see a demonstrable record of salary and employment (or self employment) up to the application.

  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 2,138 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 October at 10:38AM

    It's an interesting question and personally I am not so sure that £17,246 in a lifetime ISA would automatically exclude claiming UC.

    That's because the withdrawal value, except for specific circumstances, attracts a 25% reduction.

    https://www.gov.uk/lifetime-isa/withdrawing-money-from-your-lifetime-isa

    So in the circumstances the withdrawal value would only be £12,934.50 if withdrawn, and so that is the actual capital value of the ISA in the circumstances.

    Depending on other savings that you may have, you could actually withdraw it all at once and then claim UC if your total capital was still under £16K.

  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 2,138 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 October at 10:38AM

    In calculating entitlement to UC it is the realisable value of the Lifetime ISA which is used (i.e. after
    deduction of the withdrawal charge) not the amount held in the account.

    Thanks for that confirmation of my thinking above, saves me wading through the ADM..

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.