We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

JSA help

Hi all, I recently had to resign from my job as my employer had stopped paying me (currently owes me £6k) which I'm using ACAS for to get back (eventually!!). I put in a JSA claim but they rejected it as I was self employed during the period they checked my NI And I hadn't enough cat1 at that time???? Even though I've paid over 40 years of NI and even (foolishly) paid voluntary NI when I was self employed. I'm currently looking for a new job but any help financially would be nice from a system I've paid into all my life😵‍💫. Any help pls??

«1

Comments

  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    if you have not paid enough of the right contributions you won't get jsa but have you looked at universal credit?

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,779 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The OP might face a battle against being "voluntarily unemployed" if the OP states that they "resigned". Others might be better able to advise how the OP can explain this situation in a way that a Job Coach will accept as not "voluntarily unemployed"

  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 5,699 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    For New Style JSA they currently look at the last 2 tax years 23/24 and 24/25. If you were self employed only, you cannot claim this benefit. Has to be class 1 NI contributions paid as employee.

    Use an online benefits calculator such as Entitledto website to check if you can claim Universal Credit.

    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Apeandguy
    Apeandguy Posts: 14 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

    Thanks all for the help and replies. Much appreciated. Yes exactly as I thought though. What an insane system, all the years I have paid into it and then cannot get help when needed. Even though I resigned, it was basically through breach of contract (and under the advice of ACAS )as I wasn't being paid so it's ok to claim JSA BUT my class 1 was not being paid during the period they choose to use to see if you're eligible??? I am genuinely seeking short term help while I get another job. Surely this is what JSA was designed for?? Unfortunately it seems like another nail in the coffin for working people.

  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    you talk about an employer but also about being self employed.

    So was your last work period as a PAYE employee or taken on as a self employed person under contract?

    If you were employed and your employer has not been paying the NI they shoudl have been then I'd suggest your report this to HMRC. What do your payslips say ?

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Its not another nail in the coffin for working people, it works like it has worked for decades with contributory JSA, if you don't like it then speak to your MP about getting a change to the law, there has to be rules that have to be met, it can't be a free for all

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,861 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Its not another nail in the coffin for working people, it works like it has worked for decades with contributory JSA

    Can confirm that when I was unemployed in 1991, I wasn't eligible for Unemployment Benefit as I hadn't paid enough NI and so I was given Income Support instead. Since then UB has become JSA and IS has turned into UC.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 2,311 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October at 6:49PM

    Another reason to full examine the pro’s and con’s of being self employed. Ideally before you become self employed. Equally has the Op looked at there state pension?

    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • Apeandguy
    Apeandguy Posts: 14 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

    Sorry. I was self employed for 10 years but may 25-aug26 I was employed. HMRC decided to look at the period when I was self employed to calculate my JSA. Obviously no class 1 was paid then as I had no employer. So that's why I'm not eligible? Regardless of all the previous years I was employed and paid class 1

  • Apeandguy
    Apeandguy Posts: 14 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

    State pension is completely full. As I always paid class 2 and also voluntary while I was self employed (wish I hadn't now tbh). Just blows my mind I can't get help when I genuinely need it atm while I find my next job.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.