We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What should be my absolute first move right now?

Hello everyone. I find myself in a position I never anticipated. My spouse and I are getting a divorce, and we are expats living in Europe. The emotional toll is heavy enough, but the administrative side is truly terrifying. I have no idea how asset splitting, alimony, or legal custody work under the local laws here. I am also quite anxious about my visa status post-divorce, as my right to stay is tied to our marriage. If you have gone through an international divorce in Europe, how did you handle it? What should be my absolute first move right now? Is it better to consult a local attorney or an international expert? Any insights or kind words would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

  • monkey-fingers
    monkey-fingers Posts: 421 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I'm not sure this is the right forum for this.
    it's the Employment, Jobseeking and Training board.

  • PeppaCoin
    PeppaCoin Posts: 142 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper

    I'm sorry you're going through this. "Europe" is a bit broad here as each country will have its own laws, so you might have to be more specific

  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 19,700 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I think you need to consult a lawyer in your country of residence who is qualified in the matters to which you refer

    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Cubicsrube
    Cubicsrube Posts: 122 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    There are UK based firms that specialise in cross-border divorce (google is your friend). They can quickly establish whether your circumstances give you any choice in jurisdiction, advise on next steps, & introduce you to local lawyers if need be.

  • VyEu
    VyEu Posts: 115 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts

    You need a local lawyer too. Jurisdiction will matter

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.