We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Distributing Estate - Receipts for beneficiaries

Late 20s first time handling probate and estate admin/distribution totally on my own.

Nearing the point of being ready to distribute to beneficiaries, and I wanted to ask if / how people have gone about drawing up receipts for the beneficiaries to sign and confirm they've received their inheritance and released the estate representative?

Could anyone please share a format they've used or link me to a specific document that I could print? Do I need to have the documents notarized or witnessed? Some beneficiaries are very far away so I wouldn't be able to go directly to them myself.

Comments

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,632 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    I am assuming at this point you are only dealing with the small cash legacies rather than the shares of residue.

    Accordingly the following guidance from Farra outlines what a receipt document should contain -

    https://withfarra.co.uk/guides/beneficiary-receipt

    Again, don't overlook their interest for late payment of the legacies, and informing them that the interest is taxable and should be declared to HMRC.

  • Regalia6969
    Regalia6969 Posts: 26 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    @poseidon1 you legend, thank you. That's correct however I'm interested to know if the process changes at all for the residual beneficiaries later?

    Something I'm a little confused by, in the case the beneficiary isn't happy to sign a receipt, the page suggests not distributing until the dispute is resolved. However I don't understand how it's possible to draw up a form with a date of receipt to sign if the inheritance hasn't yet been given. Surely they wouldn't want to sign until the money is in their account? Apologies if this is a stupid question.

  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    When I was in your position I wrote to each beneficiary stating the amount of the legacy, requesting the name, number and sort code of the account they wished the legacy to be paid into and to confirm that they would return the enclosed receipt when the money was received.

    They all agreed and duly sent receipts, but if I had not received a confirmation letter from anyone (perhaps they had moved or died?) I would have held on to their legacy.

    Worked OK for me.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.