We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Santander - amending Standing Orders
Has anyone managed to successfully amend a standing order with Santander recently?
Every time I have tried recently, I get an error message.
Santander have also updated how they display the list of standing orders and removed the very helpful "mandate number" reference from the list..
Comments
-
i was about to make the same comment about the annoying removal of the mandate numbers from the list.
I have several SOs going out to Regular Savers which are tricky to identify as the Building Societies don’t allow me to use an easy to recognise reference.
1 -
I have just changed 2 SOs today, without any issues (apart from having to do it online rather than in the app).
I hadn't noticed they removed the mandate number as I never used it for anything. I (ab-)use the payee name to easily identify / distinguish between my own accounts. For example, if my account 12345678 is with Lloyds, the payee name is "FL Lloyds 5678".
Payees can only be set up like this in the app, not online. It obviously fails CoP, but that's not an issue for me as I set up the payee in these steps:- "Add new payee" with the actual account name and do the CoP check
- when CoP confirmed, press "Change" next to the payee details
- then "Add new payee" again, and change the real account name to something meaningful, such as "FL Lloyds 5678" in my example above
I have been using this for years with hundreds of payees and never had a single issue with it. None of the receiving banks / Building Societies ever raised an issue and all my SOs execute without problems.
1 -
I have been using this for years with hundreds of payees and never had a single issue with it. None of the receiving banks / Building Societies ever raised an issue and all my SOs execute without problems.
Surely the receiving institutions wouldn't be any the wiser about your choice of payee name anyway, i.e. there's never been any sort of real time CoP processed by the recipient and it's just the sort code and account number that are used to identify the destination account?
1 -
Yes sure - it's just that some of the companies give deposit instructions that make it sound as if the actual account name must be used as the payee name. In reality, it is as you say - all that counts is sort code, account number, and reference for those accounts which are identified by reference number.
0 -
This is an example of strongly worded instructions given by a Building Society. We can happily ignore these, and use a payee name that suits us. I also always select ‘personal account’ for payments to my own accounts
EDIT: the above instruction is displayed once you completed an application for a MonBS account. They then also send you a letter by email, in which they give you different instructions for the payee name (which can also be ignored)0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


