We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Hidden VAT in online purchase
Comments
-
If yiu read the post above -
If you read my post above - I did say I have already written to them. I hope they sort it out. But if they refuse - I will claim Section 75 & sadly I will have to report. They broke the law & other consumers are at risk too. It’s the right thing to do. But I’d like to think they just are a small business who weren’t careful enough when combining online businesses & made a genuine mistake. My refund is a few ££s. They’re not going to risk a hefty fine for the sake of that.
As for ‘blackmail’ - a ridiculous accusation by Lobster! - either I’m entitled to the refund or I’m not. If I’m not legally entitled then they’ve nothing to fear from me reporting it - although I sincerely hope it won’t come to that. That’s not blackmail - it’s the law. It’s no different than a consumer who tells a retailer they’ll go to ‘Small Claims’ court if necessary, to exercise their rights under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act. Is that blackmail too?0 -
For someone who has been quoting consumer law at some length it's surprising that you don't realise that Section 75 has absolutely no relevance here.
You are perfectly entitled to a refund - of the total purchase price - if you return the goods in the condition in which they were supplied.
5 -
OP you apparently know all the answers. You also knew the total price before paying. Just return the goods and get a full refund.
0 -
Perhaps OP would like to confirm just how much the VAT was?
Life in the slow lane0 -
20% ;)
1 -
Funny Was meaning £
Life in the slow lane0 -
Doubt if it will be relevant since it has now become A Point Of Principle.
2 -
More a point of misunderstanding combined with ego shielding due to the issue with choosing to ignore the total at checkout.
0 -
Or, even, 16.5% of the total paid ;)
I guess these must have been expensive candles as the OP states they will claim under S75…
1 -
If any genuine users of the Forum come across this thread & want some help with illegal drip-pricing, I’d be happy to signpost them to the correct 2024 DMCC legislation & Guidance. Then they’ll be able to exercise their consumer rights just as I have. Similarity the Section 75 laws - although I will use Chargeback first if I can, because that more fairly sanctions the retailer rather than the credit-card issuer.
As for the other comments since my last post - probably best not to grace them with any response other than this.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
