We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

BW Legal “Payment Request” contravention date Date Dec 2025 ?

Hi there

I’ve received a payment request letter from BW Legal suggesting my car was parked on yellow lines at a railway station. They are now acting on behalf of Defence Systems Limited for recovery of £170 which includes client debt recovery costs of £70.
I understand it is free to park at this particular station and no payment is required if using the station


The contravention date is 10 months old and dated December 2025, and whilst I owned the car at the time, I no longer own it now.

Several people were insured on the vehicle during my time as registered keeper, no other letters have been received and a window ticket PCN was not attached to the vehicle.

I have, however, received text messages from Park Watch some time back, advising I owed payment for a PCN but no other information was provided such as type of contravention and date, and, as it came through on text, I assumed it was a scam text and ignored it as I am not sure how they would have my number

The letter advises I have failed to make payment or raise a valid appeal in time. My options are pay in full or pay on a pre-approved payment plan, however,this is the first letter I have received apart from the texts as mentioned previously

The letter states I may contact them via text message, live chat or phone to pay or discuss

I was contemplating sending the following via message and live chat… and would be most grateful if someone would be able to check the following is appropriate to send? I have merged two parts of the messages suggested on the parking tickets forum … would this suffice ? Although I am not sure on the best way to conclude the message.
I would be most appreciative of any help or guidance anyone can give me

Thank you so much

“I dispute your 'parking charge', as the keeper of the vehicle. I deny any liability or contractual agreement and I will be making a complaint about your predatory conduct to your client landowner.

There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. Since your PCN is a vague template, I require an explanation of the allegation and your evidence. You must include a close up actual photograph of the sign you contend was at the location on the material date as well as your images of the vehicle.

Due to the passage of time and the fact that there is no obligation to do so, the keeper is unable to say who was driving the car at the time of the alleged contravention.

This was alleged to have  taken place in December 2025 and as no notice to keeper (postal PCN) was received, no window ticket was received and no specific time that the alleged contravention occurred, there was never an opportunity to identify the driver and now it is far too late. No assumption can be made and the car was insured to be driven by more than one named driver at the material time, as well as by any authorised friend or family member with a valid fully comprehensive insurance policy”

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,094 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Is you V5 up to date, and was it up to date throughout this period?

  • James_Poisson
    James_Poisson Posts: 967 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 1 October at 8:00PM

    Is this railway land? if before Boxing Day it may have been under Bye Laws and not relevant land?

    In any case the time for appealing has past.

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,805 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 October at 10:05AM

    "The letter advises I have failed to make payment or raise a valid appeal in time. My options are pay in full or pay on a pre-approved payment plan"

    No, your third option is to ignore it unless it is headed Letter before/of Claim, as explained in post 2 of NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST.

    When a LoC arrives you use the recommended reply there in post 2 and it's NOT what you grabbed.

    You aren't at appeal stage.

    Do NOT ignore a claim form that comes from Northampton CNBC. Again, see the second post of the NEWBIES thread. Nothing to worry about, we do these several times a day here and most claims end up discontinued.

    In fact most threatograms just fizzle out with no claim following. Sit tight.

    🙂

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.