We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Oven or air fryer?
Because of the rise in electricity i am toying with the idea of buying a small (counter top) oven or air fryer
I have a normal size fan oven and smaller "normal" oven that takes ages to heat up.
It really annoys me heating the oven just to put a sngle salmon portion in or handful of chips etc.
Has anyone done this and has it been worthwhile and cost effective?
Comments
-
Yes and yes. The air fryer is great for smaller items. The oven used to cost about 30p to heat and run for 25 minutes, the air fryer costs about 10p.
1 -
I haven't used a proper oven for over ten years. I have a halogen oven; this does everything an air fryer will do, has more room inside and you can pick them up for next to nothing on FB marketplace, often unused
2 -
For one person, a small air fryer is great. For a family less so unless you get a one with a lot more cooking space.
1 -
I used to have a halogen oven before we moved house and would definitely recommend it. We've got a double/stacked airfryer now which probably fits in our kitchen better, but I regretted letting the halogen go.
"Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga0 -
My oven broke down 3 years ago and as there’s only me instead of replacing it I bought a Ninja flex drawer air fryer. As air fryers go it was quite expensive but still about 1/4 the price of a new oven. It has a large compartment that can be split into 2 separate cooking zones which I find particularly useful.
0 -
So you're saving 20p each time. How many years will it take to recoup the cost of the air fryer if the airfryer costs £50 / £100 / £150 / £200 (depending on model purchased). A looooooooooong time. For the price of an air fryer at £100 it will be 500 uses before you break even so approx 18 months if use it every day, every other day it'll be 3 years ish.
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time0 -
Only used the oven for the last 3 years if the food doesn't fit in the air fryer.
Some pre packed meals do not have air fryer instructions, but I just reduce the temperature and the time a bit.0 -
I agree, wouldn’t catch me using an air fryer when I have a perfectly good oven .
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
That's only on short runs. Running it longer saves more. On average we use the air fryer twice per day for the family with lunches, dinners etc. Have had it 4 years, so conservatively (twice per day, 20 minute run, 300 days per year) we've save over £600 even after the cost of the fryer.
0 -
However, if you oven runs on GAS…..
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

