We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Seniors Money Managed by Council

Hi all,

I've previously messaged about an elderly friend moving into a nursing home. At that time, it was agreed that it would be best for the council to manage her money, as we are not blood relatives. She has been there at least 4 months now.

Today, I received a call from the nursing home asking if I could add some money to her account, as she is seeing a chiropodist next week and that will need to be paid for. They were unaware that this is supposed to be being managed by the council (even though I told them when she first moved in).

I have contacted the council, and it seems that her money is not yet being managed by them, and we will need to pay for anything she needs and keep receipts for reimbursement.

I'm disappointed with this and am now starting to wonder if I should look into managing her finances myself, which I don't really want to do, but I also want to make sure that she can get what she wants and when she wants it.

Does anyone know how long it takes for councils to take over financial management?

How do people in nursing homes manage who have no family/friends?

Comments

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,487
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    They need to obtain deputyship which can be a long drawn out process.

  • 437222
    437222 Posts: 9
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

    I had to apply for Deputyship years ago. It was bureaucratic, but it meant I could more easily deal with the issues you outline here.

  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,278
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 September at 10:52PM

    You are under no obligation to pay anything, whatever the council or the care home may be telling you.

    The local authority can pay an allowance to the care home while the formal financial stuff goes through. They may not want to, but the option is certainly there.

    And although deputyship takes months, whoever is applying (in my area the council does not do this directly, the service is contracted out to an independent organisation) can apply to the DWP to be an appointee for the state pension in the interim which is a lot quicker.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,022
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Make it plain to the home that the Council needs to pay and should by now have arranged to be DWP appointees for your friend and have access to resources,

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.