We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Wma files to mp3?

twopenny
twopenny Posts: 9,331 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

My favourite phone has packed up and a new phone won't play my wma music files only the MP3 ones.

Didn't know that's what they were untill I put my memory card in.

So I can see options to change the wma to MP3 but don't know which is safe and reliable. Can anyone recommend please?

I will use my laptop where they are stored and make copies of the files to change so I don't loose stuff.

I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,402 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Is your new phone a smartphone?

    Get an app that plays .wma files, my goto is VLC Media Player, will play .wma and pretty much any other audio/video format.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,331 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks Flaneurs. That's a helpful thing to know 🙂

    But would an app allow me to use the music as alarms and alerts?

    I like Perfect Day as alarm to try and convince myself, Witch Doctor for the doctor just so I can be prepared.…

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    VLC Media Player (as recommended by @flaneurs_lobster ) can be downloaded for your laptop and does offer file conversion too:

    Batch Process: Go to Media > Open Multiple Files, add your WMA files, select the Convert drop-down, and set the profile to MP3.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,402 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 30 September at 1:35PM

    Probably not useable, what's your new phone?

    As you say, probably easiest to convert files to .mp3.

    Running Windows 10/11? You should have Windows Media Player available which should do the job.

    Haven't used it myself in a decade but there's help online.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,331 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 30 September at 1:22PM

    It's an Honor X5c Plus

    With magic os and android 15.

    Thanks Woodstok, I understand some of that

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Have you tried Powerampapp as that plays wma files.

    https://forum.powerampapp.com/

    As you may know some media files are DRM protected so may not play .

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,331 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I haven't Boohoo. Good to know.

    But to get them for use with the alarm, ring tone etc I think they have to be mp3.

    It was stuff downloaded about 26yrs ago when most things on the internet were free 🙂

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    If VLC or Powerampapp works on your mobile then for the files you want to use for ringtone and alarm you can convert them few and not the mb's or gb's wma files.

    Free on the internet years ago, I remember them well using dial up at a 1p a minute.

    Is it not free now?

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,331 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I found some wonderful musicians from around the world back in the day when YouTube was really good and gave stuff you'd never have heard because it wasn't British.

    Now it just gives a random selection of promotional stuff.

    Ah yes, I remember 'logging on ' and going downstairs to make a coffee while got going. 😄

    We seem to have gained a lot but also lost a lot.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.