We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Inheritance Tax Reference No.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to receive the Inheritance Tax Reference for the IHT400 form? I applied online over 3 weeks ago and still nothing.

I have tried phoning the IH helpline, and both times I have been on hold over 30 minutes, and then been disconnected 😔

Thanks

Comments

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,482
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Don’t have any recent experience, but I have asked the mods to move this thread to the deaths, funerals and probate board shard others may have.

  • Cubicsrube
    Cubicsrube Posts: 122
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    N=3 so take with appropriate grain of salt—in our family’s 3 recent probate applications it was quick when no tax was due (~2 weeks) and took longer when tax was due. I can’t recall the exact wait but it was def over a month of persistent chasing. The phone waits are very long, you just have to keep trying. Try as soon as they open.

  • NeverTooLate
    NeverTooLate Posts: 305
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I applied for a IHT ref number on 18th September - nothing yet

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.