We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Refused term life assurance, what now?

HI,

I recently applied for a term life assurance too cover a £100k mortgage which I have on interest only. I have no other life assurance as when I priced it up it was too expensive, hence going for the term assurance. However I have been refused this as I was diagnosed with Lymphoma in September 2025. This has now been treated and I have been discharged but they have cited this as the reason. I am 60 years old. Does this mean I cannot get insurance from anyone? And do I need to declare on any other applications that I have been turned down? Are there special brokers who deal with people like me? Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I think you will struggle given your age and medical history to the point where they either won't quote or it will be prohibitively expensive.

    You could try speaking to a broker and see if they have any suggestions.

    When does your mortgage end and what's your plan for paying it off?

  • duckychick
    duckychick Posts: 60 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    Hi, I have 10 years left on the mortgage, there will be savings to pay it off at the end of that, I just wanted to cover in the event of death during the next 10 years.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    If diagnosis of cancer was Sep 2025 when did you enter remission? Most insurers start the clock from then and will require you to be clear for a minimum period of time.

  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    One refusal doesn't mean nobody will insure you. Given that your lymphoma treatment was only recently completed, the problem may be timing rather than you being permanently uninsurable. I wouldn't make lots of further online applications, though. Speak to a specialist protection broker who deals with cancer/medical-history cases and can approach appropriate insurers before making a formal application. BIBA's Find Insurance service is a good starting point.

  • duckychick
    duckychick Posts: 60 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    Thank you for your replies, I will seek advice from a specialist advisor as suggested.

  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It really will depend on the stage and grade of the lymphoma and the treatment you had. You may not be able to get cover now but may once you've been in remission for 2+ years, although again, this will be dependent on the stage and grade of the lymphoma and whether it was hogkins or non-hodgkins lymphoma.

    With the diagnosis being very recent you may struggle to afford the premiums that are offered due to how insurance providers normally calculate the increased premium for cancer survivors BUT there are specialist brokers out there who can help.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.