We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Sports Direct - still entitled to replacement?

I bought a pair of ultraboosts back in June this year and didn’t touch the shoes until now in September as I was waiting to wear out my old ones.

I’ve only noticed now since putting them on properly that they’re actually mismatched and they’re 2 completely different shoes (they do look very similar). In this instance, can I still demand a replacement under the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

IMG_7275.jpeg
«1

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,113 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    In store purchase?

    After 3 months, you are going to struggle with SD.

    Life in the slow lane
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,256 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    It’s under six months and they are clearly not if satisfactory quality if they don’t match so I don’t see why not. Even if it is sports direct.

    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,831 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Whenever I've shopped in-store, SD have always checked at the till that shoes are a pair (and otherwise match the size/description on the box). They'll probably claim to have done the same when you purchased yours.

    I agree that you're going to have a hard time with this.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Did you pay over £100, and by credit card?

  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    You are entitled to a replacement or refund, and the consumer rights act supports you in this. The goods clearly do not conform to the contract, and this "fault" was clearly present at time of purchase.

    However, given this is Sports Direct, be prepared for a fight, so I would decide now how much time and effort you are prepared to expend on this.

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,879 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!

    I agree with your stand, but I also agree with @born_again that they will likely struggle to enforce these rights with SD. Will they enforce their rights in court if necessary?

    I don't think the time frame is actually relevant in the grand scheme (in comparison to them noticing after 3 days instead of 3 months - for all they know it could have been bought for someone's birthday in September) but I suspect Sports Direct will make it the basis of their argument regardless.

    Aside from the inevitable argument with SD, it probably goes without saying you should have checked these in store or when you got home… SD already don't have a great reputation for returns (they often get cited on this forum as they only give store credit for instore purchases, much to the dissatisfaction of consumers intoxicated by generous online return policies and many retailers offering better return policies than they are obligated to).

    Know what you don't
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,448 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Aside from the inevitable argument with SD, it probably goes without saying you should have checked these in store or when you got home… SD already don't have a great reputation for returns (they often get cited on this forum as they only give store credit for instore purchases, much to the dissatisfaction of consumers intoxicated by generous online return policies and many retailers offering better return policies than they are obligated to).

    Don't think OP has indicated if this was an in-store or online purchase (not that I think it actually matters).

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,755 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The OP has right under "not as described".

    However, the OP has the left trainer from one pair of shoes and the right trainer from another pair of a different style altogether.

    It is an obvious discrepancy.

    Not like one shoe size 7 and one shoe size 8.

    I am not sure it is really a SD issue - I think enforcing the rights after three months would be difficult regardless of who the retailer is.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,113 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    OP not answered the question yet. You would have to take that a in store purchase that OP tried on both shoes. As well as being checked by staff.

    If online di OP not check when arrived.

    Laces & design of toe area really just out as being different.

    Life in the slow lane
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,879 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 28 September at 1:34PM

    No they haven't, but what I said was an example of why SD in particular have a bad reputation on this forum.

    As you say, I don't think it's actually relevant in this scenario how the OP bought them.

    Know what you don't
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.