We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Extending lease on my flat

Good morning.

I have 81 years left until end of Jan 2027 and needs to extend my lease.

I am thinking about informal route as I don't have much time left.

Landlord is quoting for £420 to have a valuation but ones I have googled came back with £750 plus vat and upwards.

My question is do I need two separate valuations? Otherwise, Landlord's quote is the cheapest I am getting. Is desktop valuation enough from the Rics regulated company?

I am happy with a premium £5k. Would it be straight forward and get it completed before Jan next year?

Comments

  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 9,573 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    You only need one valuation if you agree with it!

    A desktop valuation might be sufficient unless you are aware that the property is sub-standard in some respect.

    I would probably go with the landlord's suggestion for the valuer.

    Lease extensions can take a while as they are dependent on the two solicitors talking and responding to each other. It might be tricky to get one done by January. 6 Months is not unheard of.

    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • sheenas
    sheenas Posts: 563 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I not really sure the need for valuation as your have not passed the 80 year rule. I would assume a lease is a document that resides in his solicitors top draw and would be a couple of hours to complete the form.

    I did see this calculator that might help https://www.lease-advice.org/lease-extension-calculator/

  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 18,772 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm not sure if you've understood the informal lease extension process.

    A freeholder can ask for any amount they choose for an informal lease extension, and you can offer any amount you choose.

    If your freeholder is a council or charity or similar, they might be fair about it. But many private sector freeholders won't be.

    For example, the process often goes like this:

    The freeholder gets a valuation for the extension, and the valuation might say something like this:

    If this went to a tribunal, the tribunal might decide that the lease extension should cost between £2,000 and £5,000. The most likely outcome would be £3,500.

    So the Freeholder offers you the lease extension for £7,000 (to make a bit of extra money)

    So it might be sensible for you to have your own valuation, to see if the freeholder's offer is fair. As suggested above, you could get a free rough valuation from an online calculator or pay a valuer to do a more accurate valuation.

  • intex310
    intex310 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes you are absolutely right. I didn't understand it at all.

    As you've said, I will do my online valuation and compare it with theirs. I was confused when I asked for quotes from other surveyors and their prices were doubled the ones from the landlord's.

    I have heard and read it all on the news but I am finding it all as a scam! I need to pay for both solicitors! Hope to complete it before it hits below 80 years.

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,608 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
  • If you start a formal request for a lease extension now it won't matter if it isn't concluded before the lease drops under 80 years.

    If you go the informal route the freeholder could delay things and then refuse to extend unless you pay marriage value.

    I would advise you to take the formal route for certainty (but as above, who is the freeholder, a private individual or company or a council/HA?).

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.