We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Filtering and downloading specific emails - what add on do I need ?

MouldyOldDough
MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,385 Forumite
1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 27 September at 10:04AM in Techie Stuff

I have a large historic email problem

I use Thunderbird and am trying to pull some specific emails from the thousands that I have

There are about 100 that I am trying to filter off - but CTRL A - does not do anything ….So what add on do I need to pull a folder of specific emails off Thunderbird ? If I can select all - can I drag and drop it elsewhere ?


If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.

Comments

  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Filter/search until the emails you want are showing, then click in the message list and press Ctrl+A. If Ctrl+A appears to do nothing, the focus is probably in the wrong pane.

    You can then either drag the selected emails into another Thunderbird folder, or use Ctrl+S to save them as individual .eml files to a folder on your PC.

    If you want more elaborate export options, ImportExportTools NG is useful, but it isn’t necessary just to select and save a batch of messages

  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I can't even drag a message - what am I doing wrong ?

    Focus ?


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    OK I have managed to select all - and have tried to export them all as PDF's which fails !


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I am using AI to convert 532 EML files into PDF's and then MERGE them together to one large file and it appears to be working !


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.