We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

HSBC global account

sorry I am being thick and need some help. I have one of these accounts that hold US dollars. I am going to the States and want to buy for motorcycle hire and take out cash before I go.


Am I correct I can use the global debit card and pay for the bike hire? Then use that in the US for hotels etc?


What I don’t understand is how to withdraw around $1000 to use as emergency cash from the account before I go. Do I use the debit card in a ATM in the UK or do I go to the forex desk? I did search online but could not find an answer.


Also it is worth transferring dollars to a WISE or Revult account to keep?

Thanks

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 26 September at 9:47PM

    Never hired a motorbike, in the US or anywhere else, but I rather think they will need a credit (rather than a debit) card for hire/deposits.

    Might be similar for hotels that need a card as deposit on check-in, you will probably be able to settle the bill with the debit card.

    For buying US dollars (or any other major currency) the Global Account Debit Card has no fee - don't think there's a preferential rate for using HSBC's Travel Money service over any other Bureau de Change - just pick the one with the best rate.

    Not sure what you might want to load a Revolut or Wise account "to keep"? For what?

  • Apollo22
    Apollo22 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts

    I don’t know how to get the dollars out as dollars if that makes sense?

    And whether I am better off holding the money via Wise or Revolt?

    Thanks

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I don’t know how to get the dollars out as dollars if that makes sense?

    To buy something in the US and pay in USD? Or withdrawing cash from a US ATM?

    I don't have one of these cards/accounts so someone who does might know the exact mechanism of how/when the card defaults to local currency. It must be in the operating description somewhere.

    And whether I am better off holding the money via Wise or Revolt?

    Only reason I can think of for using these accounts (or any other) is as a backup in case of loss/malfunction in your primary payment method.

  • Maegi
    Maegi Posts: 270 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 September at 11:59AM

    It's easier just to buy USD at the best rate if you want cash before you go

    You'll usually need a credit card for hotels and rentals in the USA, not cash or debit like HSBC Global Money.

    Chase UK give free of charge access to Chase US ATMs and the network is one of biggest over there. US ATMs usually surcharge about $5 per withdrawal (even those with free withdrawals such as HSBC Global Money)

  • tom192
    tom192 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Why do you need the cash? Keep the dollars on the card and just use the card to spend on whilst over there?

    As others have mentioned it may not work for motorcycle hire/hotels but will be fine for everything else and then just get a few dollars out for anything else.

    The card will use the local currency first ie your dollars in the states and then begin converting GBP if you have any in your global money account once the dollars are used.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.