We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Santander Everyday Current Account - Opening Problems
I am having appalling problems in attempting to open an Everyday Current Account with Santander:-
I first applied 17 days ago. I have received some 13 emails from Santander. In addition by post I received appropriate debit card & PIN. I received this on the 11th September. I then received 2 letters dated 12th & 15th re switcher service stating that account would be switched on 22nd (Why 2?). Account was duly switched on 22nd and my previous account was closed down and balance transferred. Direct Debits and Standing Orders went through along with credits.
This week I received Personal ID in the post (19th Sept) - Great.
However I have not received any security number. I assumed that this would follow on shortly afterwards.
Basically I can't log on without these details. Their phone lines are abysmal. I have had no reply despite waiting for in total 2 hours to speak to someone.
I can use ATM to determine my balance however I desperately require to log on to handle my business online and move money in and out accordingly.
They say a week is a long time in politics, however 17 days is hellish in banking and patience isn't one of my greatest virtues.
Comments
-
If there is a Branch near you, they might be able to help with this abysmal performance.
0 -
The "security number" (which may also be referred to as your 5 digit Registration Number or Customer PIN) isn't something Santander send you but a number you choose for yourself when you register for online banking [ ]. Have you done that yet? Seemingly you could have done it on 11th September.
0 -
'You must wait for your second letter. This will include your Security Number. You'll need this to use Mobile,Online and Telephone Banking'
0 -
Ah - ok - my apologies. Procedures may have changed since I and my other half set up our online banking with both Santander and Cahoot? Or maybe I'm miss-remembering and you can change your "security number" once you're registered? Certainly ours are numbers we chose ourselves. Again my apologies.
1 -
I phoned Cahoot which is part of Santander earlier in the week as I couldn't log into my new account with the details they had sent me by post. I was on hold for about an hour before I could speak to someone. They said they were having a lot of computer issues and to try again the following day. It worked the following day. It appears there are problems with Santander's app today. I suspect there's some serious IT problems with Santander at the moment.
Make £2026 in 2026
Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77, Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
Total £629.02 31%Make £2025 in 2025 Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10
Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%0 -
Yes it's the latter, a temporary security number that you change once you use it.
I've checked from when I registered a couple years ago. Letter 1, the personal ID, and Letter 2, the temporary security number, are dated just one day apart. The card PIN is also dated the same day as Letter 1. The OP should've received all of them by now, so it sounds like the number might be lost in the post.
1 -
Everything successfully sorted now.
0 -
Got all of mine in ONE postal delivery, (I'd been checking daily, so it was definitely one delivery.) It's a good job my external mail box wasn't broken into as they'd have got: the personal ID & temp security number, the debit card and pin and the switch confirmation (also x2) with all my personal details. This is royal mail, holding mail back to deliver in batches as opposed to Santander I think but it does demonstrate how banking still needs to become more secure.
Glad you've now got it sorted.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

