We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Santander bank account closed with no notice

13

Comments

  • Absolutely complain. You likely won't get compensation, or even an apology, but the bank will have to spend resource investigating and responding, and if enough people complain when they are treated like something on the bank's shoe, things might change for the better.

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 September at 11:58AM

    Deposits from third parties Santander might be suspicious of? Crypto? You live abroad but you hadn’t updated your address?

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 September at 11:57AM

    There was another thread which related to Santander closing an account where that OP was living abroad but hadn’t told Santander.

    Santander sent a, ‘where do you live letter?’ to their UK address and deliberately didn’t add it to their electronic inbox. That OP complained that if it had been added to their electronic inbox in internet banking they could have sent their neighbour around to pickup the letter and pass it to them abroad…

  • MrPaulus
    MrPaulus Posts: 9 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Exactly. I went through a KYC process in May 2026, and I clearly told them (again) I lived outside the UK. I provided all the required documentation, and I was told if there were any more questions, they’d get back to me. Less than 4 months later, my account is terminated with no notice.

    If they wanted me to close my account, I could have done it in May.

  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 6,520 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thinking about it overnight, I’ve got some even bigger issues. First of all, they have issued a cheque, which I won’t be able to pay into either a Revolut or Wise bank account

    Wise is not a bank in the UK

    However, your cheque example is one user case where having a HSBC UK account will be helpful. It's app supports paying cheques up to £2,000 in

  • Maegi
    Maegi Posts: 270 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 September at 12:21PM

    Obviously complain if you feel strongly but I have a feeling that you may be onto a looser.

    The issue will likely be that the account T&Cs restrict to UK residents only. Having a UK mailing address doesn't make you a UK resident and using that address might even have temporarily delayed closure. Banking T&Cs usually say something like they can enforce T&Cs immediately even if they've let it slip in the past.

    Your insurance companies will accept alternate payment (if you contact them) for these type of situations plus if you are due a credit then contact the sending company who can resend to Wise / Revolut.

  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,770 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Banking T&Cs usually say something like they can enforce T&Cs immediately even if they've let it slip in the past

    Earlier in the thread someone posted a link to the last T&C changes, which implement consumer protections relating to account closures. Not living in the UK (by itself) isn't one of the things on Santander's list of what might justify immediate closure.

    It would be different if the OP had lied to Santander about where they were living, which would trigger the 'false/misleading/withheld' provision, but from what the OP says that doesn't apply in their case.

  • MrPaulus
    MrPaulus Posts: 9 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Update: here is the reply from Santander to my initial complaint.

    I'm sorry that you've had to contact us about your Santander account closures.

    I understand that this situation has caused you problems, but I've investigated your case and this wasn't because of a mistake we made. This is because on 19/06/26, you were sent a letter providing you with 90 days' notice of your accounts being closed.

    This is in line with Santander terms and conditions, where Santander can withdraw banking services for any reason by providing you notice. Santander cannot maintain nor provide you banking services at this time.

    As you were given notice to your registered address, we cannot uphold this complaint.

    I got a letter delivered to my UK mailbox on late May 2026 about the KYC process, but nothing after that. How am I supposed to prove I didn't get a letter?

    I will be escalating my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

  • Enzo_L
    Enzo_L Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker

    You don't have to prove that you didn't get a letter.

    They just have to show that they sent you a letter to your last known address giving you notice.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.