We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Credit report inconsistencies

Due to an unforeseen circumstance, I entered a Debt Management Plan (DMP) for my Nationwide loan in September 2025. I have always made payments on time and have never had any issues with the arrangement.

This year, my partner and I received some unexpected funds, so we began the process of applying for a Shared Ownership mortgage. However, my Decision in Principle (DIP) has been repeatedly declined. After investigation, we discovered that this is due to my DMP being reported inconsistently across the Credit Reference Agencies (CRAs), even with specialist lenders who normally accept DMP applicants.

Experian and Equifax are incorrectly showing that I have been in rolling arrears for the past year. Based on this data, lenders are automatically declining my application. In contrast, TransUnion is reporting the account correctly — showing no arrears or defaults, and simply reflecting that I have been in a DMP since last year.

My mortgage advisor has confirmed that unless Experian and Equifax are corrected, any lender will continue to decline me automatically.

I have contacted Nationwide, who insist they are reporting the account correctly on their end and claim they have no control over how CRAs display the data. I have also contacted Equifax, who confirmed that the information they have received is wrong and that the account should not show arrears, but instead show DMP/Arrangement to Pay. They also stated that they cannot amend the data without authorisation from Nationwide — but Nationwide are refusing to assist.

Where does this leave me?

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,125 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    If the DMP is shown correctly on one agency database, that would seem to imply (not definitively, but most likely) that this issue is with the other CRAs,not Nationwide.

  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    edited 26 September at 2:28PM

    When you enter debt management your accounts should either be defaulted, or will be marked "AP" (arrangement to pay).

    If they are not marked this way, make a formal complaint to the lender, and escalate to the ICO (information commissionaires office) if need be.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.