We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Being chased for debt that isnt mine.
Sorry for jangled info its a bit complicated so will bullet points.
-Got a letter saying I owed money to a leccy company (that I am not with)
-Used a template (from these forums) to email the law firm people thingy asking for proof
-Emailed me back saying they had no evidence of my complaint.
-2 weeks later got 3 emails asking for money all of which went to my junk, despite coming from the email address I had contacted
I emailed back again asming for proof. Got another email tonight saying they didnt have any evidence of my complaint, but I still owed them money, and that they couldn't open the PDF I sent (showing the previous email saying they couldn't find proof of my complaint). They then sent the proof of the bill. It was a property I left over 3 years ago and the bill is from last may (2025). My housemates took over the bills (pre paid leccy and gas). Ive sent them proof I didnt live there, and the email of my landlord so he can confirm when I moved in to him ( a year before said bill).
I am also not fully convinced its legit as they take 1 week plus to respond, and are quite threatening in the emails. I have googled the company and they are legit but I am always cautious of any letter, email etc asking for money when they cant offer proof right away.
I am more confused as to how, they cant find evidence of my complaint, or record of the OG letter sent to me yet still demand money. I have also reached out to the leccy company for support.
Sorry this is so long I am just. Very confused and need some help. Please ask further questions if you are also confused or need me to explain more. I have emailed them back asking for then to resend me the letter so I know they are legit. I sent them the email 10th Sept and they only got back to me yesterday. First contact was 18th August. As far as I am aware they have not investigated it further so (please correct me if I am wrong) and I have tried and ask for proof (on 18th August) and they only gave me (evidence) yesterday. So unsure how to proceed.
Comments
-
Simple rule of thumb, ignore any demand for payment that comes in an email, phone call, or text message.
If a company thinks you owe them a legit debt, they will write to you in a good old fashioned letter.
Its the only legal way a debt can be collected, so ignore all else.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter4 -
I have had a letter, but when prompted they did not prove it was my debt. Said they had no proof of my complaint, but still asked for money. It may just be me not understanding the wording.. So i have asked again for a letter, and more proof but since they take WEEKS to respond. It may push me past their deadline before they get back to me and I am worried about it going further. Would me having the emails be enough to maybe argue. "Hey I tried, they just took too long?"
0 -
What is the name of the collection company?
Do they refer too "their client" at all?
Their deadline is meaningless twaddle designed specifically to have the effect its having on you.
No proof equals no debt, it really is that simple.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter0 -
They name the client but again did not provide evidence till yesterday despite asking for it on Aug 18th when I got the letter. They also cannot open a PDF which is weird as heck to me as the PDF was an email from THEM saying they couldnt find proof of complaint. They may mean complaint to leccy company, but my complaint isnt with leccy company its with them as theyre the one holding the "debt"
0 -
If they are working on behalf of a client, then they have no authority to take the matter any further than its already gone.
Again if you name the company, I can perhaps tell you a bit more, but basically the debt will likely have been equitably assigned to this collection company, that gives them the right to just chase the balance, but no power to enforce the clients rights.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter0 -
Sounds like a typical dodgy debt collection agency.
1 -
Which company leccy (EDF) and debt collector is Flint Bishop
0 -
They are a new one on me but seem typical of the breed.
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.flintbishop.co.uk?stars=1
0 -
If you look a their website they say they are one of the top 200 law firms in the UK.
Flint Bishop - Top Personal & Business Lawyers Law Firm UK
You wonder what the bottom 200 are like.
If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.1 -
Ive found an escalation email in that trust pilot link. Thanks all, so probably legit, but overall a bit rude/mean to be pushing for payment so fast? Will save the escalation email. Is there an ombudsman (or equivalent) for complaints?
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
