We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

NI contributions - confused

I will be speaking to my accountant in a few weeks to finalise my accounts, but I'm just trying to get my head around how much to budget for NI contributions.

I have always paid enough NI through PAYE whilst employed, and having checked my record, only need to contribute another 3 years to reach full state pension entitlement.

The last time I was self-employed I had low profit exemption so have never paid class 2 voluntarily.

I am now self-employed only, but will still have low profits for a year or two. I thought I would need to pay Class 2 to keep my record up, but looking at the .Gov website I am unsure if I need to?

I don't want to fall behind, but equally I don't want to pay if I don't yet need to.

I can't take my state pension until 2049 so have plenty of time to make up the remaining three years.

In a nutshell, if I expect to make around £10k profit, do I need to pay class 2? It looks like above the small profits threshold I won't need to?

Comments

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,523 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    https://www.litrg.org.uk/working/self-employment/national-insurance-self-employed

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • Thank you, that link explained in a much better way than the .gov site.

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 182 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 25 September at 10:56AM

    10k profit would put you above the minimum threshold (£7,104) but below the threshold at which (class 4) NI has to be physically paid (£12,570)
    therefore you will get your state pension credit "for free" as it is deemed to have been "bought" without you needing to actually make a voluntary Class 2 cash payment
    Class 4 is now just simply more tax and "buys" nothing

    Congratulations on being in that happy middle ground of self employment where you will not pay any income tax or NI at all

  • Thank you both, I am much clearer now, and every penny helps!

    I am hopeful profits will increase substantially over the next few years, so this 'sweet spot' will only be temporary, but it is nice while it lasts. :-)

  • Thank you both, I am much clearer now and every penny helps!

    I am hopeful profits will increase substantially over the next few years, so this 'sweet spot' will only be temporary, but it is nice while it lasts. :-)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.