We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Worth trying new ink in 8yo HP Deskjet or just by new one?

We have an 8yo HP Deskjet that hasn't been used for at least a year so has completely dried out. The ink cartridges are dry/empty too. I tried soaking the heads briefly in shallow warm water to get them going again but to no avail. It's £20 for (non HP) replacements inks or £40 for a new HP (with the inks then about £25).

Whilst no one else uses the printer other than for odd returns labels I've been told today I need to take 20+ photos of my entire body and print them out every 3 months to try and track my moles so I will be using a LOT more ink than normal (have had melanoma in the past).

Any suggestions as to the most money-saving way to do this, and bonus points if it's not a big scanner/photocopier one - just a printer is fine!

Thank you

:eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
«1

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,399 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Just a thought, 6"x4" prints are 18p ea at Boots.

  • beckstar1975
    beckstar1975 Posts: 785 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Sadly consultant wants each one on A4 - should have mentioned that, else I'd have done that. Also they might get sniffy about body parts . . .

    :eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 14,180 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 24 September at 3:45PM

    Can't the consultant accept the jpg images.

    or fairly cheap to run HP Smart tank w10 c£160 / Eoson eco tank 1810 c£140

    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,399 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Odd, I'd have thought that sending hi-res jpegs for your consultant to view on a super big 8k monitor would have been more optimal but I'm not a doctor….

  • beckstar1975
    beckstar1975 Posts: 785 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 24 September at 5:09PM

    I asked to be discharged from the service so I'm supposed to check for changes myself and he said it's better that I print them out to be easily able to compare rather than looking on a screen. Then refer myself back when I have proof of changes I show my GP. Though for work I use at least 2 if not 3 high res screens ever day!

    Shelving that for now, for normal day to day printing would it be better trying the £20 ink or likely a lost cause and try again? I work for a massive uni with a medical school so I'm sure I can ask around for a way to keep and compare the images digitally, I was so surprised they agreed to discharge me I didn't apply critical thought!

    Thanks

    :eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 11,974 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Will a new printer be compatible with your existing tech? My computer is so old that a new printer would be very unlikely to work with it.

    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


  • beckstar1975
    beckstar1975 Posts: 785 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    thankfully have new work laptop, kids laptops less than 5 years old and all on Apple phones (all bought second hand from cex) so that shouldn’t be an issue

    :eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 13,857 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Who's told you to take photographs of your body to check for moles. My friend had a melanoma a few years ago and when she was worried about another mole she went to a (different) hospital and they took full body photos which they can compare to if she goes back again in the future. This was the NHS.

    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Draqo
    Draqo Posts: 17 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Changing the ink cartridges, if they're the type with the head built into the cartridge is the correct way to do this, and, I'd go down the no-name ones rather than HP originals.

    However, I'd be more tempted to get a small carpenter square thing, and then take pictures of the moles with that and keep them on your phone, printing them out on an old ink jet printer somethings bound to get missed, where a decent phone camera will be significantly better and you'll be able to see sizes with a proper point of measure.

  • beckstar1975
    beckstar1975 Posts: 785 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Head of Dermatology at our large London hospital. My melanoma was 3 years ago and BCC was 2 years so, but I have a condition where I have well over 100 moles and the 9 other ones I’ve had removed have all been various stages of changing . I can’t keep going back all the time so this is the compromise as currently under investigation for 2 other types of cancer, so have decided to discharge myself from this with these provisos.

    Thanks @Draqo , will try new ink first and keep packaging to resell if no joy

    :eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.