We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Concerned About A Refund/My Rights

Hello I need advice please about a carpet purchase. I went to look at bedroom carpets at a local store 19th September, paid for 2 roll ends to be fitted.

Paid by debit card (£500, +£100 to be paid to fitters).

On reflection I made poor choices so I went back to the shop 23.9 and felt pressured when I said I wanted to change the order. I couldn't find something I liked , felt uncomfortable and left. I decided to cancel the order instead and take more time deciding what to buy. 1 concern was quality, I clearly need to spend more money to get decent quality.

I rang the store 24th September to request cancellation and refund. Staff member told me the manager would ring back. He didn't so I rang again. He's gone on holiday I'm told and I may get some money back when I speak to him after 3rd October.

The carpets were still in store yesterday when I visited.

Do I have any rights? From looking online it seems not.

Would appreciate any advice about what, if anything, I can do.

Comments

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 19,974
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Do their terms permit cancellation?

  • lovelifer
    lovelifer Posts: 46
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I've read the small print on the receipt and customer is liable to pay them 20% of the price. Obviously should have read the small print more carefully before I posted. My decision making/thinking is shot at the moment.

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    As an in-store purchase, there's no statutory right to a change of mind return for a full refund, so their returns policy comes into play. If you're unhappy with the quality you would get for what you've paid, you have three options. Proceed with the purchase, cancel it and pay the 20%, or speak to the manager and see if you can "trade up" for no penalty, i.e. if the carpets you want instead cost £700, then paying the extra £200 closes the deal and gets you carpets you're happy with.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.