We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Engagement Gift for son?

Our son has just got engaged. Do we give an engagement gift? I don;t want to give money. They have their own flat which isn’t that big so I think an ornament type gift is not appropriate. I would like them to have something though! I looked online and saw a candle stick type wooden thing, but if I splash out on that and it looks tacky I won’t be happy. So, I really need something that I can go to a physical shop and buy.

Sorry for the rambling. Any ideas please? Is giving an engagement gift a thing?

Debt free and Keeping on Track
«1

Comments

  • Some people will give gifts and others won't.

    Is "a candle stick type wooden thing" not another ornament which you reckon they have no room for anyway?

    A meal for two, a cookery course, a spa day, a massage session could potentially all be options.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • Loanranger21
    Loanranger21 Posts: 246 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Give them a card and ask them what they would really like within a reasonable budget. You could suggest money to them for them to put towards their wedding.

  • Take them out for a meal, if that's not too expensive? I'd be thrilled with that but everyone is different. I wouldn't expect an engagement present, I think a card is lovely though.

    Hastings Direct 4775.99

    La Redoute 676.21

    Barclaycard 295.20

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,566 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It is possible your son might not be bothered about a gift, but his fiancée might be. So best to play safe and buy something nice and not too cheap, for the sake of future family relations.

  • Cressida100
    Cressida100 Posts: 369 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Tell them your budget and ask if there is something they might like for their home. I definitely wouldn't chose something for them. Personally in my opinion you can't go wrong with a cash gift.

  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,006 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    We didn't get them an engagement gift. Thought they could wait until the wedding.

    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 19,688 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,400 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    edited 25 September at 8:31AM

    We threw them a party. If their home isn’t big enough to host their own party, they may appreciate that more.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,578 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!

    You gift if you want to and don't gift if you don't want to.

    There is no etiquette.

    I wouldn't buy anything that you are not 100% sure they'll appreciate.

    So…just talk to them.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,280 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    Buy them a bottle of champagne.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.