We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Will this lawn recover?

1000030840.jpg 1000030838.jpg 1000030836.jpg

There's been a lot of regrowth, but nothing in these patches, should I rake and seed, or give it until the spring? Last question I promise (for today☺️)

Comments

  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes, it will - I've had similar patches in previous dry years and it always comes back - but putting seed down won't harm…

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Yes as soon as the rain arrives it will green up.

    If you wanted you could mow over it with the blades set highish and it will help those tufts to spread out and make it easier when the rest grows.

    I'm giving it some lawn feed 2 days later - maybe.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • middlewife
    middlewife Posts: 309 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks 2p. I've mowed it as thought that would let more light and air through. Definitely a trip to GC coming up☺️

  • Cheslea2010
    Cheslea2010 Posts: 80 Forumite
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic

    My lawn was worse than that. I scarifited the bare patches and then seeded it. Ordered 2 tonne of Topsoil to spread over the seed to help germinate and levelled it with a fabulous little tool called a lute. You wouldn't know it was any different now. Very forgiving stuff, grass.

  • middlewife
    middlewife Posts: 309 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    2 tonnes?!!!! Respect for shovelling that! My body's a bit broken so will just rake over the dead bits, feed and seed, then put cotton strips over it to keep the birdies off.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Honestly, the grass roots will still be alive. All you need is water and a little feed if that makes you feel better.

    I do wonder why we need immaculate grass lawns at all. Not suggesting concrete 😀 one of the prettiest was a bungalow area where tiny yellow creeper and fox and cubs were growing in the grass.

    I've allowed clover to grow in one house and that stayed green. Ditto a lawn of Mind your own business always green and rarely needed mowing.

    The MYOB grew under evergreen trees which maybe is another thought for your other thread except now you've paid for chippings.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.