We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Channel your inner Bob/Monty/Beth etc

Have had this area cleared from this

1000027638.jpg

To this:

1000030834.jpg

Following on from the rubble garden thread, was thinking of partially planting it with verbena, lavender and possibly grasses. However, there is "bulletproof" membrane under it so I'm a bit worried that cutting into it will mean the Spanish bluebells and ivy will grow back, never mind the area at the back which gardener is supposed to be coming back to finish.

The initial suggestion was to put some copper deep planters along the fence, but that would be expensive, plus clambering up there to water/weed/prune is not what I want to do, hence the low maintenance "rubble" garden idea

Any thoughts/suggestions?

«1

Comments

  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,003 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Looks like that is a very overgrown Hazel tree? Based on the katkins?

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • middlewife
    middlewife Posts: 309 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    We moved here 26 years ago and it was I guess around 10 years old then. We get it pruned every 3 years or so, so it's probably due another haircut, like watching the squirrels and birds perching, even if the squirrels dig up my pots looking for nuts ☺️

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,313 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Garden gnome collection?

    https://www.gnomereserve.co.uk/

    It would be a great spot for bird feeders under the canopy where the sparrow hawk can't bother them.

    I think you'll struggle with plants in the shade. Primroses, dwarf daffs and cyclamen will be ok because they will flower before the leaves grow. Lots of different spring bulbs.

    1000012100.jpg

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 25 September at 10:46AM

    2p: Garden gnome collection?

    https://www.gnomereserve.co.uk/

    Hmm, despite the spelling of 'Centre', the Gnomes have only moved a few miles north, not to the USA, but it's sad they couldn't stay in their original habitat, which covered some acres. At their new home, one doesn't need to search them out. I believe they're now free in the monetary sense, but it's more of a Gnome zoo. 😢

    Certainly, consider re-homing two or three. 😇

    As for the site, I'm sure I've seen it before, and the spring bloomers 2p mentioned were suggested. What's still puzzling me is why there is a DPC in the wall below soil level and why a DPC was needed, considering the upper course looks like it's made with engineering bricks? 🤔

    Personally, I'd go for some Geranium 'Rozanne' along the outer limits, and maybe some more shade-tolerant species like macrorrhizum or nodosum under the tree canopy. A procumbent Rosemary draped down the wall would be good too.

    Then I'd set about that neighbour's laurel, poking through the attractive trellis before it wrecks the lattice!

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,313 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I'd be wary of planting much that stays above ground on that gravel.

    When the tree sheds leaves shortly it will make it harder to clear up.

    While the clearing may cause gritted teeth put the leaves on the compost heap or in a black plastic bag. It's good stuff.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • ferns and heuchera and hellebores generally don’t mind shade.

  • middlewife
    middlewife Posts: 309 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks everyone, re the dpc, no idea, the site was redeveloped before we purchased with a land swap with neighbour, whose garden is about 4 foot higher so maybe that's why, think gnomes would send OH over the edge, but then again 😂

    The leaves are going to be a pain, but think we can use a leaf Hoover on the lowest setting and it won't suck up the slate🤞

    I'd thought about ferns, spring bulbs (apart from sodding bluebells) would work too, I feel a trip to GC coming on ...

    I've seen a sparrow hawk once, unfortunately it perched on the fence post so they might not be safe under the canopy....

    I might have to resort to wind chimes ...

    Thanks for all the suggestions ☺️

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    middlewife: I might have to resort to wind chimes ...

    Don't get one with most of the notes from Postman Pat's theme tune!

    I ended up humming it every time I went out there. 😲

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 7,763 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper

    Amazing transformation. I would probably stick with pots to add colour in the summer.

    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

    So much to read, so little time.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 11,972 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Scatter some verbena seeds on there, you'll probably find they will root themselves fine amongst the slate. That's what happened to us. We've got verbena growing in the gravel above the weed proof membrane. Californian poppies will also do the same.

    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.